11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 2:04 AM by JohnSebastian

Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it

JohnSebastian

Title

Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it

I need help here. I can move to a specific record NUMBER using a script. Was east to do using a calculation , intiger, moving me to that record. The pages I am moving to are STARTER or first page records of 10 distinct parts of my data base. SO, if I add or subtract a record, I have to go back and change the calculation, HARD WIRED record number to the new number I am now seeing as I progress through my sorted records.

Therin lies the need to go to a record using a text field that identifys each and every START page of a section of my database.

For exanple, I have a main field I use in my database called CFC Waynesville, that sorts and controlls everything. The fileld reads," F01/Application/01" at the start page. I need to create a script that moves to that record using this distict. TEXT, identifier, not using a "find" that eleminates all other records,but simply moves me to that spot in my database.

Field = "CFC Waynesville",

Record name in text = "F01/Application/01"

Move me to that record in script.... PLEASE!

• 1. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
          philmodjunk

The structure of your database seems unusual. I suspect a related table where you have one record for every set of records in your current table could be very useful to you.

Leaving that observation aside and addressing the immediate problem:

Open Manage | Database | Fields and add a new field with global storage specified: gCFC Waynesville.

Click the Relationship tab and select your table by clicking it. (I'll call this table "main" for this example). Now click the button with two green plus signs to create a new table occurrence of Main. Link the two table occurrences in this manner:

Main::gCFC Waynesville = Main 2::CFC Waynesville   //strange field name here!

Now you can use one means or another to enter "Fo1/Application/01" into the global field and then

Go To Related Record [ From table: Main 2; Using layout: <CurrentLayout>]

will jump you to that record leaving the current found set and sort order intact as long as the specified record is present in the current found set.

• 2. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
            JohnSebastian

Ok so far, I have created the globa field in the first table.... gCFCW

I have used relationships to link the global field to its origonal ,, gCFCW = CFC Waynesville

THen I tried to create the script to MOVE my data window to this record,,, no success.

Seems as tho you indicated that the "gCFCW" field has to be filled with duplicated entrys that match the origonal fild,, is this right? Or is the association automatically going to replicated feild data in a ghosting fashion?

If I try and use related records when setting up spripting criteria, it gives me no place to enter what I am looking for, just the option to use the current layout.

Do I do a find recordes then user the related records entry after the find records...? I am really confused...

However, I do have the new table created from using the two green pluses and the relationships equalling one another...

Just can't enter the "F01/Application/02" text anywhere to MOVE me to the place in the data window I need to be without destroying my sorted records.

• 3. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
              philmodjunk

Unless you have placed the global field on a layout where user picks/enters the value to which they want to scroll the window, your script would use Set Field to enter that data into gCFCW before doing the Go To Related Records.

• 4. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
                JohnSebastian

I tried placing the global field on a form,,,,,, field name " gCFCW". It acts like a lable and only appears on the first record, popping away from view as I move forward in the records, what gives.

I was hoping to populate it with the identical text from the CFC Waynesville field which gets its information automatically through a caculation that combines the text from 3 other main form fields , separating the text trom each thusly.  

Location = F01

Type = Application

Position = 01

Thus, CFC Waynesville is caculated to be 

CFC Waynesville = F01/Application/ 01

To help this make more sense, I am cataloging furniture store room locations and their contents. The above example hardly shows what most fields contain. Most would look more like, 

CFC Waynesville = F01/ Living Room /01 or

CFC Waynesville = F02 / Bed Room /06

I just can't get that mirrored information into the global field via placement on a form using the "gCFCW" field. Does it not recognize the calculation? Can it get it's info by doing its own calculation exactly like the main form, field CFC Waynesville does?

Moving to a position on a presorted database without destroying the sorted contents cannt be this hard!

• 5. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
                  JohnSebastian

And , yes, it does appear that you have to spell it out to me! Especially when one is asked to concoct a recipie using a script,  a recipie that makes apple pie using the contents of figgy pudding!

• 6. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
                    philmodjunk

I'm not sure that I fully understand how you've contstucted this table. On the one hand, you want to go to the record where CFC Waynesville contains the text: "F01/Application/01" and yet you indicate that the current record already has this data in the CFD Wynesville field. Thus you appear, to me, to be trying to go to the record that is already your current record?

Clearly, I'm missing a key detail here. Perhaps you were on this record and now want to return to it?

I think you need to describe this data, the table's structure and what you are trying to do in more detail. Feel free to post a step by step example of what the users needs to do and see here.

• 7. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
                      JohnSebastian

Yea you aren't getting it at all, and I don't know how to make it any clearer. read my first post over.

I just wnat to move to a record in a sorted data collection without blowing up the sort, and by using a TEXT not a numbered content in one of the tables fields. Simple as that.!

Just so happens the feild is called CFC Waynesville, and is the very first field of the MAIN table, and pretty much the ONLY table.

This feild is a calculated field.

Peroid

I sort by this field assending, then I am ready for business. I need to move midway through my records and don't wanna push "Go to the next recored" or GO to previous record" to get there. I wanna move to a place in the table that has Text that I know will put me at the position i wnat to be in.

Since I sort using the main table , field one, assending using the field called, CFC Waynesville, and I know that varoious records in that field whose TEXT content I KNOW will get me where I want to be, the I need a script that will get me there. Record numbers are useless, as rrecords can be added and subtracted,,, but these TEXT Identifiers remain constant. So can Filemker Pro get me there?

• 8. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
                        philmodjunk

I just about dropped this thread. I do this for fun and don't have to answer questions here at all. I did read your post quite carefully before posting any suggestions here.

The part that was not clear, was how you knew which record you wanted to scroll to and how you would tell the system which one you wanted. Depending on the design of your system, that could be done by selecting a value from a drop down menu, clicking a button or other layout controll or just typing the text into a field.

Yes it can be done and the method I described will work.

You'll need to put the global field where you can then enter or select data in this field before running the script. Assuming that this is a list or table view layout, you can either put this field into the header or you can put it in the body of your layout. If you place it in the body, you'll see the same value appear in this field in every row, but this can be easier to work with as a bug in FileMaker can temporarily disable a global field in the header. You can also pop up such fields in a new window, but that takes a bit of scripting to do. You may want to format this field as a drop down list of values drawn from your calculation field to help avoid typos in this field.

• 11. Re: Go to a specific record, NOT sorting, just moving, and using text in a field to do it
                          JohnSebastian

Well, that example worked, I am up and running,,, THANK YOU!