8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 7:40 PM by R12GS

Go to next record with "Enter" key

DavidBliss

Title

Go to next record with "Enter" key

I am in browse mode with a simple table entering inventory quanitities in a field.  Is there a way to key in the quantity, hit the ENTER key and have Filemaker go to the next record, same field?  I am using Filemaker 11.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
          philmodjunk

Enter layout mode. Select the field or fields whre you want this behavior. Go to the behavior section on the inspector's data tab and you'll find check boxes for which keys, tab, enter (numeric keypad) or Return (Qwerty section) will exit the field and put the focus on the next layout object in the tab order.

In the layouts menu, you'll also find a set tab order... option for modifying the tab order.

• 2. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
            DavidBliss

Thanks.  I am not sure this will do what I want.  I had already set the behavior upon hitting the Enter key to "Go to next object".  That takes me to another field in the same record.

Going into the Set Tab Order doesn't help me unless I am missing something.  This allows me to designate which field the "Enter" key strike will take me to in the same record, but I don't see a way for it to go to the next record.

I'm new at the forum.  I'm going to try to attach a jpg to this which shows what I am trying to do.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
              philmodjunk

Ok, sorry for not reading more carefully.

Create this script:

If [ Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) = 10  ]
                 Go to Record/Request/page [next ]
                 Go to Field [InventoryOnhand ]
                 Exit Script [False]
              End IF

Enter layout mode. If this is a table view layout, you may need to use the field tool to add the field to your layout.

Right click the field and select script triggers. Use the OnObjectKeystroke trigger to perform the above script.

• 4. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
                Jade

David,

It looks like you're using Table View.  Just use ctrl-down arrow key combination instead of 'Enter' key to go to same field one record (row) down. 

• 5. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
                  DavidBliss

PhilModJunk,

Thanks for the reply and no need to apologize.

Wow, I thought creating recipes and subrecipes with portals for my ice cream formulas was hard.  Now you got me.  I am going to test my learning skills and probably your patience.

Wow again.  I just took a minute after typing the above to follow your intructions and they worked to a tea !!!

Thank you very much.

• 6. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
                    philmodjunk

Note to FileMaker 12 users, there's a bug that may keep this script from working in FileMaker 12:

For More Information see:     Code(Get(TriggerKeystroke)) returns 13 and not 10 when you hit the 'Enter' key

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 7. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
                      DavidBliss

Is there any update on a fix for this problem?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Go to next record with "Enter" key
                        R12GS

This is a HUGE help for my users who want the database to behave like Excel.  Thanks very much for this Phil!  

I did a slight change to get it to trigger on the "enter" (=10), "Return" (=13), and the "Tab" (= 9) keys too.  Just posting complete as a help for other novice users.  Also note the Exit script step looks a little different in Filemaker 11.

==========================

If [ Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) = 10  ] or [ Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) = 13  ] or [ Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) = 9  ]
                                Go to Record/Request/page [next ]
                                Go to Field [InventoryOnhand ]
                                Exit Script [Result: False]
                             End If

Enter layout mode. If this is a table view layout, you may need to use the field tool to add the field to your layout.

Right click the field and select script triggers. Use the "OnObjectKeystroke" trigger to perform the above script.

===================

I hope they fix the Filemaker12 problem  surprise