1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 10:08 AM by philmodjunk

Go to Record in another window?

ianmanning

Title

Go to Record in another window?

I have a database with lots of product records. many records have data missing from one of the fields.

products of similar name/type will have similar data in the missing field. unfortunately the product names can also be very similar for very diferent products. This means that the data has to be chosen manually.

To aid the selection process I am trying to use two adjacent windows. one is showing a list view with 50 records on screen at anytime. The second is a form view of the record that needs to be updated.

I open the second window from a button on the first window so that the same found set of records are used in both windows.

The form view is packed with radio buttons to make the selection fast and accurate. there is also a Next button which will advance to the next record (via a script) stopping at the next record with the data missing.

When my 'Next' script has found the next record with data missing it will Select Window[ first window name] and the Go To Record [ $currentrecord in second window] before selecting the second window again  this works ok and both screen show the same record.

I have two questions about this.

1) can I change the record in the first window without leaving the second ie Go To Record [ second window name; $currentrecord]

2) is there a way of highlighting the current row in a list view?

Thanks

Ian

• 1. Re: Go to Record in another window?
          philmodjunk

1) As long as both windows have the same found set and sort order, You can use Select window to switch from one window to another and then use your variable in a go to record step to synch the second window's current record to match the first.

2) A simple script trigger combined with a global variable or field and a conditional format can do this.

Write a script with this line in it: Set Variable [$$CurrentRecord ; Value:  Get ( RecordID ) ]

On the layout where you want this feature, use the OnRecordLoad script trigger to perform this script.

Last step: select the field or fields that make up this record you want to highlight and assign the following condtional format expression: $$CurrentRecord = Get ( RecordID ). Select an appropriate highlight color and the fields of the current record will automatically highlight on this layout.