11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 3:47 PM by philmodjunk

Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)

JohnPink

Title

Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)

Hi

I have a problem that i can't seem to come to a solution, what i am trying to do is be able to set goals at different levels I.e Long term, Medium term & Short term 

What i want to be able to do is view the long term goals at the top of the page and then below i would have a single title for medium term like "Week 5" and this week would have several of its own goals but not having to enter week 5 in everyone to relate to the long term goal. Then be able to create "week 6" and this would still link to the same long term goal. and i would be able to add several goals to week 6. 

Then you would be able to create a new long term goal, called "Month 2" and then you could create more sub goals in that like "week 7" for example or a different name "Away camp 7" and then add goals that related to that. 

Then you would be able to open week, and as above but with week at the top of the page it goals underneath, and then below that be able to a day and a goal to that, then add another day to the same week and another goal.

I Have it so it kind of works but i have to have buttons to go back and forth rather than drop down menus, for the week and month, as otherwise its changes the record it is realted too.

Hope someone can help as i have spent days and days trying to work it out..

Thanks

John Pink

screen_shot.jpg

• 1. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
          philmodjunk

Does This mean

"long term" = goals for a given month

"medium term" = goals for a given week

"short term" = daily goals

???

• 2. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
            JohnPink

Hi 

Yes your on it.

Sorry for the bad English

Thanks

• 3. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
              philmodjunk

It looks like you need a "parent" table on which to base your layout.

Will there be different sets of goals for different individuals/different groups? Or just one set each of daily, weekly and monthly goals?

• 4. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                JohnPink

I see,

It is just for 1 person not multiple people, but with multiple levels, of daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.

Thats a good idea with the parent table that holds the links. and then information from those links held off of there. 

Thanks

John Pink

• 5. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                  philmodjunk

There are a number of design options to consider here.

Will your database simply allow the user to organize their goals or will it also record whether or not they have met them?

Another is whether goals should be linked to each other. Example:

If a person meets the daily goals of: Excersize 30 minutes, Limit food intake to X calories a day for a week, does that automatically indicate that the weekly goal of "Maintain weight control regimine" has been met?

And your screen shot shows lists for monthly and weekly goals. Does that mean that you want the user to go to a layout, find the record for a given month and then be able to see three lists of goals, Monthly, weekly and daily?

• 6. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                    JohnPink

Ok so to put it in better terms, it will not be set exactly week to week, the goal section will have a name rather than just a week, and it will be for anywhere between 4 - 14 days.

Then you will be able to add day goals each morning. and review them at the end of each day these will not be ticked off as "done" as it were they will just be more of a summary for your day, and you will tick of the goals at the level above. (i.e the week / period above that u set.)

but currently i am struggling massivley with what i think should be a simple function, all i want to do is be able to create a new record and when i do so it looks at the previous record date and just adds one day.... if you could help with that it would be amazing!! I can make it automatically enter the last visited record using the "Enter data from last visited record" 

But i have tried many differnent methods using the by "calculated value" and i cannot seem to make it work..?

and on the levels part and viewing them i just want to be able to always see up 1 level, so if you are in weekly goals you can see monthly / quarterly goals, if your in monthly you see year goals.

Thanks for taking the time to look, 

• 7. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                      philmodjunk

Until your data model (The tables, table occurrences and relationships) is properly structured, attempting to set up a working user interface on a layout is like building the top story of a two story house without first putting in the foundation and ground floor.

all i want to do is be able to create a new record and when i do so it looks at the previous record date and just adds one day....

That can be done but it all comes down to figuring out the answer to this question: "which previous record?"

That might be the record just above it in a found set of records. It could be a record just above it in a portal. It could be a record for the same goal from the previous day, week, month....

All of those options are possible, but the details on how to do it depend on what you have set up and that includes figuring out that data model you still have not fully designed here.

• 8. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                        JohnPink

Hi

I have decided on a data model which looks like attached: 

Basically i always want to be able to view one level higher than the level i am on, so when setting camp goals i want to be able to see Quarter goals and when i am setting quarter goals i want to be able to see my outcome goals. 

Im not sure this is the best method but I did try the master table, and a search table method, but i could not make the drop downs load on relative to the previous drop down...? I.e if i selected first the Cycle being Rio 2016, then the outcome being this years world championship Marsille 2013, i could then not make it only load the relevant quarters so Q4 2012, Q1 2013, Q2 2013 & Q3 2013. I have been trying to do this using a pop up menu, and then use "include only related valus staring from" but it works for the first one and then there after it does not work as its not the correct table information...

If you have a better idea on how i could do this it would be much appritiated, 

Also on that last point from last time on; "trying to copy the previous record and adding 1 day" it is in a protal row and it is using the date just above as the previous 1, and i would like it to run this when i click into another cell in the same portal, so using a script trigger on enter in seperte cell, but i cannot seem to make it work...

I have also seen that you made a script trigger to make bullet points in a particular field, i have tried to copy it, but i cannot make that work either... attached is pic with what i have done...... Its on a mac as well so it may be that the code for enter is wrong, but i do not know where to look to find out the correct one for a mac...

• 9. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                          philmodjunk

You seem to be assuming a lot about how this database will function without explaining the attended function in your posts.

Suddenly, Month, Week and Day goals do not exist in your database.

You now have very different names: Quarter? Cycle? Camp? and I can't quite match the tables up from your original question to either of the two data models.

Let's take this with a concrete example or I don't see any way to help you here:

If you go to a layout for entering Quarter Month Goals, what do you need to be able to see?

Can you post some examples of Quarter Month Goals and the "one level higher" goals that you would want to see on that same layout?

• 10. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                            JohnPink

Hi again sorry for the long pause..

This attached is the picture  of what i am trying to make each level to look like... and ideally when you go from one layout to the next it would be able to find only related records from the "cycle" you selected and then when you dived down in to the smaller goals it would only show you goals from the "outcome" you had selected at the start rather than all of them.. (and so on so when you jumped into a "quarter" you would just see the related camp goals and day goals..

But i am struggling to work out which tables i should be viewing.. for example when you want to create a new record in the the quarter month goals below, all the above goals disapear and need re entering / selecting as obviously its producing a whole new goal not just a new subgoal. I have managed to make this work using the portal tool but not sure its the best way... 

So i can make it display what i want, i just cannot get it to go from related record to related record down a level...

great to know your thoughts

many thanks 

• 11. Re: Goals at different levels (Drop down menus)
                              philmodjunk

Profound apologies but I am really strugging to understand what it is you are really trying to do. The layouts don't really reveal how this is intended to function and the frequent changes in terminology have made this even more difficult to picture.