5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 3:02 PM by disabled_dconnect

Google Maps not working in web viewer

Title

Google Maps not working in web viewer

Hi,

I've just found that these custom web addresses are no longer working, before they worked just fine.

What has happened and how do I need to change the custom web addresses to display the results again in my FM Pro 13.

1. Directions via car

& If ( CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTCODE = "X" ; CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTAL ; CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTCODE ) &
           "&daddr="
           & CONTACTS::ADDRESS COMP POSTCODE FOR MAP
           & "&hl=en"

2. Directions via train

"http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr="
                & If ( CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTCODE = "X" ; CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTAL ; CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTCODE ) &
                "&daddr="
                & CONTACTS::ADDRESS COMP POSTCODE FOR MAP &
                "&dirflg=r&mra=ltm&t=m&z=8"

3. Just for location

"https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr="
                     & If ( CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTCODE = "X" ; CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTAL ; CONTACTS::ADDRESS CONTACT POSTCODE ) & "&hl=en"

• 1. Re: Google Maps not working in web viewer

I have managed to do a work around using the open url option on FM.

I now have each of the custom web addresses I listed above in an open url button in the specify part.

This works fine, but it's annoying that I don't get this in Filemaker's webviewers, especially, as filemaker comes with google maps options that no longer work for me. Is it just me?

• 2. Re: Google Maps not working in web viewer
            SteveMartino

I assume this is related to your other post.  Try this as the start of the 'Open URL Options'

"http://local.google.com/maps?" & "q="
                  &

I don't have.. "&hl=en", but you may or may not need that.

• 3. Re: Google Maps not working in web viewer

Thanks Steve,

The issue was actually I had, because some security measures I took, turned off java script in safari, and I didn't know that on the mac FM uses safari for its webviewer.

All the measure's I took, like only using chrome and turning off java and flash, made my computer safer but messed with FM.

It raises an interesting point for me though, that something like google maps on FM, is so important to my database, that I'm going to be lost if google make more changes. Already, the new look maps are causing a problem to how I've set up the viewer as far as ease of viewing them.

I spent a few hours searching for a solution as I was so shocked I dropped tools, as I said it's rather an important feature to me, what I found seemed to be a nightmare of google API and costs for businesses, and maybe google will eventually go this way ...

It would be nice if a developer could come up with a google maps alternative for FM that could be purchased for 200 USD and remove the reliance on a third party like Google that has no vested interest in FM.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

• 4. Re: Google Maps not working in web viewer
                SteveMartino

Google offers support thru stackoverflow.com.  But searching/posting on  stackoverflow for google maps info requires luck, and for me was a severe waste of time.  It's very busy there, and when I posted, and came back and checked on it 2 hours later, it was buried almost 300 deep.  It's definitely not like these forums, and they definitely don't have a 'Phil'

There are a few map guru's here and on TechNet that can help, but give them some time, many seem to be at the DevCon this week.

Did you check out this resource.  It has a DevCon presentation, & sample files? 

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/docs/DOC-3321

• 5. Re: Google Maps not working in web viewer

Yep "Phil"

He's basically helped me build my DB from scratch. To be fair without him this forum, in my experience, would be less of a go to. There are other FM forums out there, but I come back here because of his advice. Btw, he sorted this one out for me too. Should have just waited for his answer, would have saved me half a day with my tools in their case.

Yep, I started out with discussions here and ended up https://www.briandunning.com/cf/1085

It just confused me, and by the time I finished trying to find out how to get a blinking API account, it's not easy to find, I see $10,000 for a year's use. I'm one of the small guys starting out, so it totally freaked me. Anyway, it's all over now :)

I develop drupal as well, yep, chief bottle washer as we say in the UK, and I had big problems with Twitter after they changed things in 2011. I knew then it was a big mistake to rely on another application so ideally, I would happily buy a one off FM postcode/map searching plug in for circa $200. I think that would be a good price point and come, it's not like infrastructure is really going to change in 10 years so its would have a good lifetime if purchased. I use to use another database and it had postcode searching built in, so may be it's possible.

I will check out the devcon presentation now. But yep, I like drupal and FM for the community. It's what brought me in to depend on the two products for my start up