4 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 3:29 PM by cmspe

GoTo Related Record and Perform Find Script Issue with FM 12

cmspe

Title

GoTo Related Record and Perform Find Script Issue with FM 12

A particular script, which worked fine in FM 10, doesn't perform the same in FM 12.  The first script step is a GoTo Related Record step.  The second script step is Perform Find.  The Perform find step clears out the current set of records with the new found set.  I tried using extend found set instead of perform find, but it did the same thing.  How do I correct this?  I hope this is clear enough.

• 1. Re: GoTo Related Record and Perform Find Script Issue with FM 12
          philmodjunk

So far, there have been no other reports, that I know of, of differences in behavior for these two features between the two versions. Can you describe what you are doing in more detail?

The Perform find step clears out the current set of records with the new found set.

That appears to describe the way Perform Find (Or a go to related records with "show only related records" specified) is supposed to work.

To append more records to the existing found set, you would not use go to related records at all, but you should be able to:

enter find mode

Specify criteria

Extend found set (do not use perform find)

to add more matching records to the existing found set.

• 2. Re: GoTo Related Record and Perform Find Script Issue with FM 12
            cmspe

I start on a layout based on TO Teachers.  I use the GTRR step to bring up a layout based on TO Students.  The GTRR script is used to bring up all of my students.  I use the perform find step to only show my 7th graders.  The way it's working right now is that, at first, it brings up all my students, and then the perform find shows all 7th graders in all classes.  In writing this, I thought of creating another TO that only shows the 7th grade records that I could base the layout on.  I may have written the script wrong before, but it worked, for whatever reason, on FM 10.

• 3. Re: GoTo Related Record and Perform Find Script Issue with FM 12
              philmodjunk

What you describe is exactly how GTRR and Perform find are designed to work and they work the same in both versions of Filemaker.

Try it this way.

Use your GTRR as written to find all your students.

Enter find mode

specify 7th grade

CONSTRAIN Found set will then remove all records from the original found set for students that are not in the 7th grade.

• 4. Re: GoTo Related Record and Perform Find Script Issue with FM 12
                cmspe

Thanks for your help.  After my last post, I created another TO that only shows the 7th graders and based the layout on that, and it worked.  But your suggestion was much simpler and just as effective.