9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 7:33 AM by pantarhei

GPS data from EXIF

GPS'er

Title

GPS data from EXIF

I am trying to import camera images into Filemaker Advanced v9 following these instructions:

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:POVJ1J0NkHcJ:192.35.50.15/help//12-Import%2520export14.html+%22photo+import+exif+tags.plist%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari 

Here is a link to the file I am trying to import:

http://www.sundancemediacom.com/RIMG0018.JPG

PROBLEM:

I am able to import data from Exif IFD0, Sub IFD, and IFD1.  HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me get it to import from Exif GPS IFD.

The GPS data is definitely there -- I can view it via both Exif Viewer and Exif-O-Matic.

Has anyone been able to import the EXIF GPS data from their digital camera images? 

Below are the GPS portions of my Plist file -- all other entries work OK:

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSLatitudeRef</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0001</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

<string>ASCII</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSLatitude</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0002</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

<string>RATIONAL</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSLongitudeRef</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0003</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

<string>ASCII</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSLongitude</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0004</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSAltitude</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0006</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSImgDirection</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0011</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSMapDatum</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0012</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

<string>ASCII</string>

</dict>

Here are my resources:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/GPS.html

http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/privateifd/gps.html

http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF 

• 1. Re: GPS data from EXIF
          Marx

There is a plugin I heard of (have not used myself) that might help you at http://jensteich.de/exif-plugin/

This plugin is currently free for private or commercial use. 

• 2. Re: GPS data from EXIF
            GPS'er

Thanks, Marx -- this plugin got me a step closer.  It will import the GPS IFD.

It's architecture is less desirable than via the XML plist method, but at least it works!

I am still hoping on guidance as to why the plug-in, Exif-O-Matic and Exif Viewer all work, but the XML plist does not.

Kudos, Marx.

R. 

• 3. Re: GPS data from EXIF
              Marx

R.

Thanks.  Do you want to import the plist xml as a structured xslt import?

Marx 

• 4. Re: GPS data from EXIF
                GPS'er

I'm sorry, Martin, but I'm not familiar with structured xsit import.

All I need to import are the raw values.  For example, coordinates in DMS (0x0004) will likely be formated as:

118/1,8/1,5290/100

I can resolve it to the more common format of:

118° 8' 52.9"

Another example is Orientation, which I am successful in importing, as it is part of the Exif IFD0 section.  It will report orientation as an integer 1-8, where as 1 = "Normal".  I only need to import the integer.  I can create my own lookup table.

Am I on the right path toward answering your question?  My apologies if I am not.  I'm afraid I'm more of a GPS guy than a FMPro guy, but I am appreciative of any and all help.

• 5. Re: GPS data from EXIF
                  Marx

Sure - I suppose I need to know what else you need - excuse me if the prior email are the things you need - I am not sure.

You need the raw values e.g. 118/1,8/1,5290/100 - I do not see them any where in the text of the xml provided - do they exist in any of the electronic data that you can now collect?  If you would confirm they are in the original xml then I can provide you with an XSLT if that is all you need.

Another option to consider is one I have used before - if you have string data and it conforms to a pattern you can always import that text file into a table as a single text field and parse it out to calculated fields - it is pretty easy once you learn the functions - it like excel on steroids.  

• 6. Re: GPS data from EXIF
                    GPS'er

Here's the real issue:  To import EXIF data into FMPro you use the Import ==> Digital Camera menu.  This function uses an XML file to retrieve and parse the EXIF data.  This XML file is located within the package contents of the FMPro application ---> Resources ---> English ---> Photo Import EXIF Tags.plist.  This .plist file is the XML file, and it already provides a DICT entries for about a dozen common EXIF tags.

This method works for the dozen or so fields already in the XML file.  I was also easily successful in modifying the XML file to add additional DICT entries for several additional fields.

If you are familiar with EXIF standards you know that the various data elements are organized into IFD groups:  IFD0, Sub IFD, IFD1, Interoperability IFD and, finally, the GPS IFD.

Using the XML file method I am able to import data fields from all of these IFD groups EXCEPT the GPS IFD.  I am certain that this GPS IFD data is present by my using EXIF readers -- Firefox's Exif Viewer, and the Exif-O-Matic application.

For example, this DICT entry for Picture Orientation (part of IFD0 group) returns the correct value of "1":

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>Picture Orientation</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0112</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

<string>SHORT</string>

</dict>

But when I include a DICT entry for a field in the GPS IFD group, the import returns a value of "n/a", for example:

<dict>

<key>EXIF_NAME</key>

<string>GPSMapDatum</string>

<key>EXIF_TAG</key>

<string>0012</string>

<key>EXIF_TYPE</key>

<string>ASCII</string>

</dict>

When I view EXIF through a viewer application, the field "GPSMapDatum" should return the value of "WGS1984".

The EXIF plug-in you referred me to does report these GPS IFD values.  However, it is not doing it as productively as we would like.  We would much prefer to use the standard FMPro method that uses the .plist XML file, if only I could get it to work with GPS IFD values.

By the way, we are using the single text field method using the EXIF plug-in, but the pattern will not always be similar.  So we are trying two paths to get this to work:  1.  figuring out why the .plist XML file does not work with GPS IFD's, and;  2.  jury-rigging the Exif plug-in.

Thanks for listening, Marx.  In my original post above I posted links to the FMPro instructions regarding the .plist XML file, links to the EXIF standards, and links to a sample image we are using.

We are using Intel Macs, OSX 10.5, FMPro Advanced 9. 

• 7. Re: GPS data from EXIF
                      Marx

Thanks for clarifying - I am using FM10 - the XML property list (Photo Import EXIF Tags.plist) has 14 items - none of which appear to be GPS.

I wonder why that is not included - it has been a standard for some time.

We could not be fortunate enough that all is needed is a more detailed property list?

I am researching this a little more.  

• 8. Re: GPS data from EXIF
                        GPS'er

Thanks, Marx -

I was easily able to successfully add several tags for IFD0, Sub IFD, and IFD1 -- but tags for GPS IFD yield "n/a".

There must something about the GPS IFD group that is different from the other groups...

Best,

R. 

• 9. Re: GPS data from EXIF
                          pantarhei

An old thread, but now in my immediate interest. 

A few months ago I attended an Apple iPad professional promotion seminar and asked if it is possible to get GPS coordinates into a FMP database. The slick presenter (FMP Scandinavian head honcho) said immediately "Yes" - and that should have made me suspicious. 

My plan/wish is to get both the location of a photo and the location of an iPad (as separate items) into FMP, to use the data in a GIS-system. Does not look promising. 

------------------- 

That was yesterday, today things look better: there appears to be a free plug-in that can do this. 

http://jensteich.de/filemaker-plugins/exif-plugin/

See also 

http://lists.common-lisp.net/pipermail/fm-lisp/2011-November/000107.html