2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 4:22 AM by TimHouston

Graph Database Assistance

Houston

Title

Graph Database Assistance

Hello all,

I am fairly new at using FMP and we have upgraded to it and so far I love it.  I have been creating excel data sheets and graphed them.  I have created a huge data base in FM Pro 11 Advanced that consist of Dates, City, State and Products.  My OS is windows XP pro SP3.  Question is?

(1) How do I get FMP to associate certain states with certain regions ex. MS, TN, AR (Southern Region) ect.

and calulate the number of products sold in those states and place them in the appropriate region such as Southern Region catagory for graphing.  I have the US split up into regions East, West, Central, South and International.

I normally have to manually count the various states and products sold in those states and graph the Quarterly difference in excel.  Is there an easier way to accomplish this in FMP now that it has the graphing capabilities and I have all of the data in FMP.  Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Graph Database Assistance
          philmodjunk

I've only begun to play with Filemaker's new graphing tools so will pass on that part for now.

"How do I get FMP to associate certain states with certain regions ex. MS, TN, AR (Southern Region) etc."

Define a table with two fields;

Field 1: Postal 2 letter code for state (and some other regions like District of Columbia).

Field 2: Region

Link this table to your current table by 2 letter state code and you can associate all your records to specific regions.

In a summary report, you can add this field 2 to a layout based on your original table and include a subsummary part to group records by region. Summary fields can then compute counts and sub-totals for each such region.

Here's a link to a simple tutorial on setting up summary reports that you may find useful:

Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

• 2. Re: Graph Database Assistance
            TimHouston

Thank you for the response.  I will follow your instructions and create the tables and fields.  This is an excellent starting point for me.