4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 3:55 PM by rgennaro

Graph two line same summary field - different find request

RuiSampaio

Title

Graph two line same summary field - different find request

Hello,

I have one table with several records with some summary fields, and the records some are from the year 2012 and some 2013.

I'm able to make a report with total values for each month of a year (summary) and draw a graph with the months in the X axys, and the value in the Y axys for one of the years (2012 for instance).

What I would like to do, is to add to the graph a second line for the 2013 months in the same graph.

How can I do it?

Thank you,

Rui

• 1. Re: Graph two line same summary field - different find request
          philmodjunk

Create a new table, Charts, with 12 records--one for each month of the year. Add a pair of global number fields, gYear1 and gYear2. Put a number field, Month with the numbers 1-12 in it to identify the months.

In your original table, define cYear as Year ( YourdateFIeldHere ) and cMonth as Month ( YourDateFIeldHere )  unless you already have calculation fields that return these values. If you do, use them in place of where I'll use them in the following relationships:

Use the duplicate button (two green plus signs) to make a duplicate table occurrence of your original table in Manage | Database | Relationships.

Set up these relationships:

OriginalTable>------Charts----------<OriginalTable 2

OriginalTable::cYear = Charts::gYear1 AND
               OriginalTable::cMonth = Charts::Month

OriginalTable 2::cYear = Charts::gYear2 AND
               OriginalTable 2::cMonth = Charts::Month

In Chart Setup on a layout based on Charts, you can use Sum ( OriginalTable::YourValueField ) for the first y-series and sum ( OriginalTable 2::yourValueField ) for the second series. You can set up a text field for month names for the x-axis labels.

And note that by changing the values of gYear1 and gYear2 you can chart monthly totals from different years just by editing those two fields.

• 2. Re: Graph two line same summary field - different find request
            RuiSampaio

Thank you very much!

It worked really well.

I assume that if I want to include more years, I have to duplicate the original table again and include another gYear in the Chart table, is that right?

• 4. Re: Graph two line same summary field - different find request
              rgennaro

Phil, this is a follow up question. I was unsure how to "define" cYear in my database using

your example above. Can you clarify?  Is "cYear" simply a variable in a graph calculation?