12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 9:52 AM by philmodjunk

Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.

DustinGimbel

Title

Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.

I am graphic designer in need of some File Maker help. My business partner and I are both in the fine dining industry looking build a digitized wine list to implement on an iPad for our restaurant. In essence it's a data base of approx. 400 bottles. When each bottle is selected a pop-up screen appears with information about the wine and photos.

As a designer, I want the user interface to be tailored to my exact specifications. I design in Adobe Master Suite. How do I 

(a) Import a pdf of artwork (that was created in either Illustrator or Photoshop) that can used as the graphic backdrop for the data to lay on top of. Also, are you able to build transitions to give the appearance of flipping through a book? 

(b) Are we able to build a table of contents with clickable scripts that will lead you to the right database? How about a title page? 

We again, want to implement this on the iPad with FileMaker Go, we're just not sure if this is the right route to take or if we should hire a iPad SDK developer. 

Thanks,

zoodesigns

• 1. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
          philmodjunk

a) You actually do not need a PDF for this. You can insert photoshop and Jpeg images into container fields. You can also insert PDF's but I don't know if the mobile devices will display the image or just a file icon.

b) all of that can be done with scripts and buttons.

You can also pursue this line of questioning by posting your questions in the FileMaker Go forum.

• 2. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
            DustinGimbel

Once said graphic is implemented into a container field and our list (database) is laid on top of, how do you view it as a customer would? Layout mode?

• 3. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
              philmodjunk

Browse Mode.

You can also insert graphic objects directly onto a layout instead of into a container field if it isn't likely to be changed very often.

• 4. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                DustinGimbel

once we lay the wines (our database) on top of the graphic layout, I want to able to have each individual wine clickable (being implemented on an iPad on FileMaker GO). Once clicked, a pop up menu appears with information about said wine. Is this possible? 

Do I make each label a button... such as 

Patz & Hall pinot nior, Sonoma Coast, 2007 <-- button ---> pop up

• 5. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                  philmodjunk

Create a table where each wine is listed in a separate record.

You can then place a field from this table (such as the name of the wine) on your layout in a List view or in a Portal and use button setup to make the field a button. You can set this button to perform a script that either changes layouts or opens a new window to display the detail info. You can even use a tool tip to make the data appear when you just hover the mouse over it in regular FileMaker. I don't know the iPhone/iPad equivalent of hovering the mouse, so I don't know if that's an option for these devices.

• 6. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                    DustinGimbel

I need a button that performs in such a manner: 

I need to have the button that goes to the previous layout the user was last viewing... 

Do I need FMP Advanced? 

• 7. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                      philmodjunk

No. I highly recommend Advanced to all developers as the script debugger and database design report features can save you literally hours of "head banging" when you have to figure out why a part of the system isn't doing what you thougth it would, but it's not necessary to implement such a button.

There are lot of variations possible here depending on how you design your database, so I can only describe the process in general terms.

Buttons can be set to switch layouts as a simple one step setting on the button, or you can set it to perform a script that does other tasks as well as changing layouts. In a list or portal view, the mouse action of clicking the button also selects that record or portal row, making it current, so the script can then work with that current record or current portal row to bring it up on the layout the script switches to.

• 8. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                        DustinGimbel

what we are designing is a database that is more of a navigation system (user friendly).... So we have an homepage layout, which has text buttons that direct users to a subset of resources, also navigated thru text buttons... Once a button is clicked from that subset it directs our user to a page that displays all the information for that specific resource (designed thru a standard form layout with images/text data)... The button I need is a Go To Previous Layout button that would direct the user back to the subset menu, not the homepage layout.... When the user is at the detail page in standard form they need two options, Go to Homepage, which I have achieved thru a button that scripts to go to the original homepage layout, but then I need them to be also able to go back to the subset they just came from, how can I achieve this....

Bear in mind, I am a total filemaker novice, I just started using this software 3 days ago, so this is all greek to me, I apologize if this comes across a stupid question, lol

• 9. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                          philmodjunk

It's definitely not a stupid question and there are extremely few exceptions to the rule that "the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask". Wink

I get what it is you want to see on the screen, but there are several different options for how you put this together "under the hood" that all will work for you. Those different approaches will strongly affect the details of what you want to do here. I can tell that "yes, it can be done" and can describe approaches in a general way, but any script example I might post will have to make assumptions about the overall design of your system that may or may not match what you ultimately create here.

Another "general suggestion".

Go to previous layout buttons that work like a back button in a web browser are pretty simple to implement in a FileMaker database. You just need to record the name of that previous layout in a global field. Thus, any buttons that change layouts have to also use get ( LayoutName ) or Get ( layoutNumber ) to update this information in a global field. Then your back button simply uses either go to layout name by calculation or go to layout number by calculation and its calculation is simply a reference to this global field. (Come to think of it, a global variable could also be used for this.)

I think you need to back up a few steps and work out your design for storing the data first and then return to the interface design issues as you will then be able to talk specifics on how to implement that interface with buttons and scripts.

• 10. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                            DustinGimbel

I can't thank you enough your help, PhilModJunk. 

We almost have a fully realized product. We've finished scripting, button making. Just another question:

We have a background image as our layout for the list itself. It's a fairly basic png file I created in Illustrator. I exported as PNG-24 and then compressed it even further using ImageOptim. This has really helped, but there is still a slight lag when switching between pages. Any suggestions? 

• 11. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                              DustinGimbel

? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 12. Re: Graphic Designer looking for help implementing digitized wine list.
                                philmodjunk

Try resampling the image to exactly the resolution needed to display it on your monitor and see if that helps.

Since you used Illustrator, it might be possible to save a vectored form as an EPS file. There are issues with EPS files and FileMaker, but if you can resolve those, this vectored version may draw more quickly.

For More Information see:    FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html