1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 6:29 AM by c.wagner1

Graphical approach to filemaker : the "wtf" time.

RemyFaure-Vincent

Title

Graphical approach to filemaker : the "wtf" time.

Hello,

I am a graphic designer, mainly working with the adobe creative suite in a small company, and a client brought us an old filemaker database for a graphical overhaul. I never used this software before, so I am learning as fast as possible to give him an answer on the feasibility of the project.

My problem is the very, very weird way filemaker treats layout images, and especially the warning that comes with "referenced" files, that they would not be available anymore if anything in their path changed.
      what about instant web publishing then ? it seems to not be able to find my graphic files, whatever their location may be (original folder, which is a subfolder in the fp7 files folder, web folder in the filemaker install, or any combination of subfolders of these).

"inserting" them without reference leads to crappy jpg compression on the web publishing tool, which is a no go as some of the pages will be printed out regularly.

I do not want to use these images as records, only as user interface layout. if I cannot find a way to salvage the original filemaker database and keep our standards of image quality, then we'll have to remake it from scratch in tools that I know better (namely css, php, and sql).

I'd appreciate any info on this part of the software, be they links to ressources or else... 

• 1. Re: Graphical approach to filemaker : the "wtf" time.
          c.wagner1

There are several ways to display your images in FileMaker.  For simple interface elements like buttons I simply copy from photoshop and paste into FileMaker.  For more complex images this tends to leave the image artifacts you are referring to.  You can also use a container field.  In the field set up you can choose to store the actual file, and not a reference to the file.  This works good if you want to make your interface elements easily changeable by a end user.

My favorite method is to actually base64 encode your jpgs and send them to a web viewer using a data url.  Simply google "filemaker data url" to find more information on this system.  The advantage to using this is filemaker uses the underlying OS's web rendering engine to display the image.  This means your photos will look exactly like they do in the stock web browser on that operating system.

Chris

Edit:Typo