1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 11:37 AM by philmodjunk

Graphing with a Portal?

amtrakpdx

Title

Graphing with a Portal?

Hi Friends,

New user so please be explicit with your answer.

One table has financial transactions, fields include key, date, description and foreign key to another table: Accounts

The Accounts table just lists out what account the transaction is comming from and going to.

I've made my first portal with ACCOUNTS being the parent and TRANSACTIONS being the child.  It's working well.

My wish:

I'd like to have a small graph on each account screen that shows a graphic history (by date) of just those transactions associated with the currently showing account.  I've tried MANY combinations and have still not hit upon a solution.

Again, please be gentle and thorough in your explanation.

TIA

Allyson

• 1. Re: Graphing with a Portal?
          philmodjunk

Describe what you want to graph in terms of the data and the style of graph.

Some types of graphs are possible from the context of a related table, others require that the records used to supply data to the graph be grouped by sorting and these cannot be done from the context of the parent (accounts) table, they have to be created on a layout based on the child table (transactions).

Also, please indicate which version of FileMaker you are using as FileMaker 12 has different features and redesigned charting dialogs when compared to older versions.