3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 3:58 PM by philmodjunk

GRID IN FILEMAKER 13

wassimzu

Title

GRID IN FILEMAKER 13

Here is my problem:  I have several products made up of several chemicals which are made up of several elements combined together. I need to made a grid (please see at the end)

Main Chemical 1 consist of Element 1, Element 2, Element 3

Main Chemical 2 consist of Element 2, Element 4

Main Chemical 3 consist of Element 3, Element 5, Element 6

Product 1 has Chemical 1, Chemical 2

Product 2 has Chemical 1, Chemical 3

Product 3 has Chemical 2

The layout for Chemical Table contains a portal for the related table Elements to input all the elements that made up the Chemical.

The layout Command has the Products Table

The layout Products has a portal for the related table Chemicals to input the chemicals that need to be used

The layout Command has a portal for the related table Products to input the Products

SO HERE IS MY APPROACH but if you have any other approach such as the use of a portal and “x” relationship please do tell me

I have created a field1 in the table Chemical that list all the process in each chemical, then another field2 in the table product that list all the process in field 1 and a simple custom function to remove the duplicates

Ex: for product 1 the list would display “Element 1, Element 2, Element 3, Element 2, Element 4”

With the custom function it displays “Element 1, Element 2, Element 3, Element 4”

I want to make a grid (as below) when i print the specification of Product 1, my only problem is how do i make such a grid????????

Element 1

Element 2

Element 3

Element 4

Chemical 1

YES

YES

YES

Chemical 2

YES

YES

OR                 I can also use the table below, both are acceptable

Chemical 1

Chemical 2

Element 1

YES

Element 2

YES

YES

Element 3

YES

Element 4

YES

I have just start my IT Career and don’t know much about Filemaker 13, please to tell me with comprehensive instructions on how to make this grid

• 1. Re: GRID IN FILEMAKER 13
          philmodjunk

I don't have the time to give you comprehensive instructions but I can at least point you in a direction that works and maybe others can chime in with the details or you can research the method on your own.

You can set up a list view layout where each row is one record and use single row portals to display the columns of data. Each portal can be filtered for a specific element (example 1) or a specific compound (Example 2).

This assumes a workable relationship between chemicals (Compounds) and elements. Since this would be a many to many relationship, I recommend a join table to link compounds to elements.

• 2. Re: GRID IN FILEMAKER 13
            wassimzu

I have join Chemicals and elements using a many to many relationships. Then i have filtered that portals to remove duplicate elements, Now that i have all my labels around the grid setup. How do i insert the "yes" in the correct place???

• 3. Re: GRID IN FILEMAKER 13
              philmodjunk

Note: I am using "compound" where you are using "chemical".

You should not have duplicate elements in your join table. Each Join table record should be a unique pairing of one element to one compound.

"Yes" can be text in a field of the join table, a calculation field or just the layout text "yes" placed in the portal row.

The portals should filter for a specific element (upper example) or a specific compound (lower example). There should be either a single record in that portal ("yes") or no record (blank).