9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 11:14 AM by GerwindeKeijzer

Group booking system

GerwindeKeijzer

Title

Group booking system

Hello there,

Not new to FileMaker but just returned to the forum.

I'm in the process of building a 'program' for maintaining a group-occupation in a childrens day care center.

So we have:
           - Groups (room where the children will stay)
           - Children
           - Parents
           - Group-leaders (personell)
           - other

A contract consists of a start-date and an end-date and on which days the child will be present (mon-fri)

The problem i have is how to create a (long-term) overview of a week which shows me:
           - how many (and/or which) children there are that week (on daily bases)
           -  future occupation
           - etc

How to build this 'overview' in FileMaker?

Regards,

Gerwin

• 1. Re: Group booking system
          philmodjunk

Could that overview look like this?

8/29/2013
                  Group A
                      Jimmy Smith
                      Mary Jane
                      Etc.
                  Group B
                      John Frederick
                      Etc
                   Group C
                   Etc.

8/29/2013
                   And so forth....

• 2. Re: Group booking system
            GerwindeKeijzer

More like:

Week 24 (date: xxx - yyy)

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri
                 Child1      X               X
                 Child2               X      X             X
                 Child3      X       X              X

• 3. Re: Group booking system
              GerwindeKeijzer

Also keep in mind that if a certain week is past the end-date of a childs contract it should not be displayed anymore

• 4. Re: Group booking system
                philmodjunk

The tabular arrangement shown in your example can be produced from the same data model I had in mind for the example I posted. But my example shows a break down by group and yours does not. Do you want this overview to show to what group a child has been assigned? If so, how?

• 5. Re: Group booking system
                  GerwindeKeijzer

I was a bit too quick, but indeed my tabular data is showing yours.

however i want it the other way around. Show one whole week and see the occupation which consists of children.

• 6. Re: Group booking system
                    philmodjunk

I don't know what you mean by "see the occupation that consists of children".

You show this in your original post:

- Groups (room where the children will stay)

Which would seem to indicate that each enrolled child is assigned to a specific group and I am trying to determine if your overview should show the groups as well as the days of the week for which the child is expected(contracted) to attend.

These are key details that can determine what data model (tables and relationships) are needed in order to produce the desired results.

What I have in mind is a script that takes the contract's start date, end date and days of the week to generate a table with one record for each day that the child is expected to attend over the contracted range of dates.

My original report suggestion could then easily be produced as a summary report of those records.

Your "crosstab" style report can also be produced from the same table of records though the implementation details will require additional work to get it all on your layout the way that you want.

Contract>---Child----<EnrollmentDetails

Child::__pkChildID = Contract::_fkChildID
                         Child::__pkChildID = EnrollmentDetails::_fkChildID

Enrollment details is the table that I am describing as having one record for each day that the child is expected to attend.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 7. Re: Group booking system
                      GerwindeKeijzer

It should look something like this Excelsheet

• 8. Re: Group booking system
                        philmodjunk

Since I can't read your language, I can't really tell what you want to do with groups in your layout. And since FileMaker is not a spreadsheet program, trying to replicate a spreadsheet isn't always the best way to go for setting up your report.

My suggestion in my previous post remains unchanged. How you show group membership could be handled a number of different ways, but the tables and relationships would still work for you.

A row of 5 one row filtered portals on a list view layout where the row for each child is a sub summary layout part can be set up on a layout based on EnrollmentDetails. each portal filters the set of related records for a specific day of the week.

• 9. Re: Group booking system
                          GerwindeKeijzer

Ok, no probs you can't read my language :)

I'll start building with FM. I'm happy to post my result here for some 'pro' comment.

Regards