2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2012 4:30 PM by BobSchwenkler

Grouping logical statements within a function

BobSchwenkler

Title

Grouping logical statements within a function

I still haven't figured out the best way, and in some cases, a way at all, to do this. Here's the (non-working) example at hand:Case (not IsEmpty(price)and Left(inventoryID;3) = "DBN" or "IPU";"CD")

What I want here is for Left(inventoryID;3) = "DBN" or "IPU" to evaluate first, then have that result evaluate with not IsEmpty(price)and...

How do I make this happen?

• 1. Re: Grouping logical statements within a function
          philmodjunk

Left(inventoryID;3) = "DBN" or "IPU" is incorrect syntax. It should be written as:

Left(inventoryID;3) = "DBN" or Left(inventoryID;3) = "IPU"

And I think you'll want to enclose that in parenthesis to get it to evaluate first to produce this expression:

(Left(inventoryID;3) = "DBN" or Left(inventoryID;3) = "IPU") and IsEmpty ( Price )

You could use either patterncount or position to simplify your expression:

Patterncount ( "DBNIPU" ; Left ( InventoryID ; 3 ) ) And IsEmpty ( Price )

or:

Position ( "DBNIPU" ; Left ( InventoryID ; 3 ) ; 1 ; 1 ) And IsEmpty ( Price )

Patterncount and position will return zero if the left 3 characters of the ID field are neither DBN nor IPU and this evaluates as "False". They'll return a non zero number if it is DBN or IPU and that will evaluate as true.

• 2. Re: Grouping logical statements within a function
            BobSchwenkler

Ok, for some reason I thought parentheses didn't work in FM.

Thanks for the simplified examples!