AnsweredAssumed Answered

Handling semester and last year - is this a structure problem?

Question asked by DanielPackman on Aug 14, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Handling semester and last year - is this a structure problem?

I am porting a database from 4D to FileMaker which manages a school. In the original database, information for the current semester was entered which included private lessons, semester charges, payments received, and payments made to teachers. At the end of each semester, the database was copied and these semester-specific entries were deleted. It would be straightforward to continue this approach, but I think it might be nicer to keep these entries, but include a __kf_semesterID field and somehow filter the approriate records based on this. The structure seems complicated enough now, but any time I add this field to an existing table, I generate another table occurrence. Is there another way that I can approach this, perhaps with searches? Ideally, I'd like to be able to set the semester to any value in the past or leave it as the current one and have the appropriate set of records selected. And even better, it would be nice to be able to have two semesters selected at the same time to get certain information out on a given year.

Outcomes