5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 11:32 AM by SamLaundon

Hangs Opening Large Database

SamLaundon

Title

Hangs Opening Large Database

I have FileMaker 7, 8 and 9 and the same problem happens in all three.

I am able to open all small databases, but just today I have not been able to open a large 100mg file in any of the FileMaker applications on this computer. The program just hangs and I have to force quit. Smaller database open fine in all three FileMaker apps. I am able to open the large FileMaker database on another computer so I know the database is fine.

I reinstalled FileMaker 7, but the same problem happens. The program just hangs and I have to force quit.

I have recovered the file, but it still hangs when trying to open it.

If you can come up with a solution real soon I would really appreciate it because the large database is what I run my business from.

Thank you - Sam Laundon

Mac OS 10.5

G4

FileMaker 7, 8, 9 all affected

• 1. Re: Hangs Opening Large Database
          philmodjunk

Do you have any scripts that run when the file is opened?

Is the file hosted over a network?

What do you see just before the file "hangs"? Hourglass, coffe cup, lightning bolt, or ....?

Does the "other computer" that opens the file successfully also have Mac OS 10.5 installed or a different OS and/or version?

• 2. Re: Hangs Opening Large Database
            SamLaundon

Thanks Phil,

Here are the answers to your quesions:

Yes, I have a script that runs when the file is opened.

Yes, It is hosted over a network, but I tried to open a copy of it and that did not work.

I see the spinning ball. When I force quit and look at the report it says "hang".

The other computer that can open the database is running 10.4

--------

Later today I am going to reboot from another hard drive that has a back up of the system which was created earlier than the system I am having problems with. I suspect that it will work fine, but can't be sure until I do it.

Thanks again - Sam

• 3. Re: Hangs Opening Large Database
              SamLaundon

Now for some inexplicable reason I can open the database from my computer and from the network.

Go Figure??

• 4. Re: Hangs Opening Large Database
                philmodjunk

I'd take a look at the script that runs when the file is opened and what layout's are referenced during opening.

It could be that your file is attempting to run a series of calculations needed to update some summary fields. If this is done while all or most of the records are in the found set, you'll get a major delay in opening. These fields could be referenced by the script or be present on the layout that is current at the time the file opens.

Likewise, certain sorts and finds can trigger major delays in large files if they involve large numbers of records and unstored/unindexed fields.

The cause could be something else, but that's what I'd check first.

• 5. Re: Hangs Opening Large Database
                  SamLaundon

Thanks Phil, I will look it to that.

Sam