1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 11:19 AM by philmodjunk

Have a field show the related value of another field

typeleven

Title

Have a field show the related value of another field

I have a drop down menu for an item in an invoice. that field stores the number related to the name of the item type listed in another table. I have a drop down menu occur when you click on it and that menu lists the item names. when you click on the item name in the list it enters the number associated to that name.

Example: you click on Labor and it enters "1" you click on Parts and it enters in "2" I want the field to show the related word in the Field just like it does in the menu. Right now when you click on Parts in the field it shows a "2" I want it to show "Parts".

• 1. Re: Have a field show the related value of another field
          philmodjunk

Option 1: (simple) Format your field as a pop-up menu instead of a drop down list.

Option 2: (not as simple) If you really want a drop down list, you do what you want with a little slight of hand. Format your field as a drop down list that uses the arrow feature. Shrink the width of your field so that only the arrow is visible. Place your related name field adjacent to the arrow so that it looks like one field. Now assign a script trigger that uses Go To Field to automatically enter your drop down formatted field each time the related field is entered--that way your drop down should appear whether the user clicks on the arrow or when the user enters the related name field.