2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 3:16 PM by JonhSnow

Have same events list for all records in my member database

JonhSnow

Title

Have same events list for all records in my member database

I am trying to make a member database where each member has the same set of events. I want to be able to display the same set of events for all my members but I cant seem to get it to work. I tried doing it with portals but no luck. Im sure it has to do with relaitonships but I cant figure it you. 

Help is appreciated :)

SUMMARY:

Main Layout:     Members Database

-Show the same events from the subdatabase Events. So I dont have to enter then manually for each member.

Sub Database: Events

• 1. Re: Have same events list for all records in my member database
          ninja

Howdy John,

Vocabulary and an answer...

Main Layout:    Members TABLE

Sub TABLE:     Events

For what you describe, make a relationship to the events table ans the members table and set the relationship to "Catersian"  (The X symbol)

This relates ALL records of each table to ALL records of the other table.  Then you can use your portal.

Think through how you will use your database...if you will do anything like track attendance (where some members will relate to the event, but some wont) you may want to handle the structure differently.

• 2. Re: Have same events list for all records in my member database
            JonhSnow

Thanks for your help, I am pretty new to file maker and just trying to get the hang of it. 

How would you approach it? Basically my database users want to have the same set of events listed for every member, but also be able to mark off attendence.

The way I have it set up is with 3 tables, Member Table, Events Table, and a Sign Up Table. Im not sure if this is the best solution for what I described.