2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 1:51 PM by davidanders

Have you Ever Faced FileMaker Database Corruption?

AnaxThomas

Title

Have you Ever Faced FileMaker Database Corruption?

I do not know whether this is a right place or not to post this question, but i am curious to know if you have ever faced database corruption in FileMaker.

In case  you ran across any such problem ever in your life, then how did you fixed it?

I am in process to create a Free FileMaker Recovery software to help FileMaker users save their data.

Please provide your views and valuable ideas!!!

• 1. Re: Have you Ever Faced FileMaker Database Corruption?
          philmodjunk

Back up, Back up, Back up, Back up...

Your number one defense against corruption is to make frequent back ups and keep as many copies as you can find storage space for. Corruption can be latent, affecting the behavior of your file long after it first occurs--sometimes only becoming evident when you upgrade your OS or your version of FileMaker. Thus, you may have to work backwards in time through your back up copies, running a recover on each until you find a copy that is not corrupted. (A binary search method can greatly reduce the number of files on which you have to do this...)

There's already a third party product available that many find useful when checking their files over for possible issues: FmDiff.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Have you Ever Faced FileMaker Database Corruption?
            davidanders

There is a FMP group on Linkedin that have been discussing this.

Unsure if Linkedin account is required to view this discussion.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/FileMaker-Pro-Developers-109321?home=&gid=109321&trk=anet_ug_hm