6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 12:23 PM by dmorgan

Having a hard time simplifying pdf storage.

dmorgan

Title

Having a hard time simplifying pdf storage.

Hello,

I have a file hosted on FM Server 12 we were storing pdf's as referenced files doing a conversion of the file path with windows or mac. But now we have several user on ipads running FM GO 12, and I had to move the files to container storage. I scripted an export and insert for the pdf's so now the pdf's are in the db as External(open) container files. I'm still working on a test copy for now which is running on a local machine and shared across the filemaker network but want this to be hosted on the server when it's fully working. I scripted an export content and insert file for the pdf's so now the pdf's are in the db as External(open) container files.

When it the pdf's were referenced clicking on them launched acrobat to show the file in an acrobat window or whatever default pdf viewer is installed. 

Now that they are inbedded as files the fm go clients give the view option and open in the fmgo viewer, but won't open when you click on them in FM Pro like the referenced ones did.

What I want is to do is make the pdf's open from clicking/tapping the pdf file name in the container field and show in whatever option is default for pdf viewing.

I'm trying to take as much load off the db as I can so I'd like to avoid a lot of calculation fields and os detection, and use the systems default for pdf viewing while keeping the user experience as similar as possible on all the different platforms. ie click/tap the pdf file field and open something to show the pdf.