1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 3:46 PM by philmodjunk

having a problem in "Research Notes" Template

HowardUnger

Title

having a problem in "Research Notes" Template

I am using Filepro 12 and drag & droping files in the document box yet they are not able to open. In my Bento 4 I have no problem, any solutions

• 1. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
          JimMac

What platform are you using?  MacOS or Windows.  Drag and Drop's are different behaviors.

Jim...

• 2. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
            HowardUnger

jim - I am using MacOs platform and Mac office 2008

• 3. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
              JimMac

If you mean "double clicking" on you Document does't open the application for the Drag and Drop. I am pretty sure you can't double click open it.

Drag and Drop "embeds" the file inside the Database.  Plus the Research Notes template tab Document is set for pictures [jpg, png...].

Please clarify what you mean by..

yet they are not able to open

Jim...

• 4. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                HowardUnger

Thanks for replying so quickly Jim, and when viewing the document box in Layout mode I see the inspector indicating your point. What I am looking to do is to inbed word and excel "documents", which is what I interpret it to mean,  into this container field which then I can refer to.

Do you have any thoughts on this:

• 5. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                  JimMac

Although, I have never tested what you ask with Excell and Word, since I don't use those Applications, I have to save as reference to "Double Click" open.  Think of it this way, a Container is like a Box, if you double click on a General Box... nothing, but if you double click on a reference, FMP know what you want.  Which means inbedding is not going to open it.

The only bad news about file referencing is that the File must be accessible to your DB container.crying.  Not to bad if on you single user computer or as active network.

Jim...

• 6. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                    JimMac

BTW, instead of Drag and Drop, Right Click to the a menu and select Insert File and store as reference and test.  Then don't store as refence to test it.

Jim...

• 7. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                      philmodjunk

The "works [nearly] every time" method for opening a file in a container field is to use Export Field Contents with the "open on export" option selected. This can be selected from the Edit menu or you can set up a button that uses this option in a script.

The double click method can fail for many reasons depending on: type of insert method (only insert file works), store a reference not selected,  or Optimized for Interactive content (Filemaker 12)....

• 8. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                        HowardUnger

Phil- Thanks and it does open the documents I have tested it with. Interesting that as a template Filemaker had not thought of carrying this over from Bento to their filepro DB. Having 250 -350 articles that I am using for my research, and the notes section only to sumarize the most important points within the articles, it is great value to have the actual article there as well.

I will need to write a script to to allow me to do this more effectively.

Thanks Jeff and Phil

• 9. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                          JimMac

@Phil I am curious what happens if your DB is on Server.  I don't Run Excel [Mac is Numbers which can read and save as Excel if needed].  Double clicking launchs on the Client or Server computer?

Jim...

• 10. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                            JimMac

@Howard  If you have FMP12 and want to have an external reference to Double Click open, I believe FMP12 will automatically move inbedded files to a reference Directory or Folder.  No script required.wink

Jim...

• 11. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                              philmodjunk

@Phil I am curious what happens if your DB is on Server.

That can create issues for how the file is stored in the container field if you use "store a reference", but as long as you can see the file in the container field, Export Field contents can export it. As long as there is an application set up as the default application for the file's file type, your OS should then be able to open the file if you click the check box that causes the file to open automatically after it is exported.

• 12. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                                JimMac

@ Phil  Lets say my Windows Client has Excel and the Server Computer does not have Excel and you "store a reference"....

If I understand you, then I wont be able to "See the file in the container Field"?

If I set the default .xls to open Numbers then wouldn't the attached file be .numbers?

I will try if there is no clear rules where the Application is loaded.  Client or Server

Jim...

• 13. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                                  HowardUnger

Jim- Interesting thing happened on my way to the Forum, Once I inbeded the .doc or .xls into the container box it worked for the first time using Phils suggestion. What I am trying to find is the reference folder or file containing such documents which is alluding me. What I did find was that using the EDIT- Export Field Contents selection brought me to a window that when I de-selected the OPEN Automatically File button and then then selected the SAVE, a Replace or Cancel choice was presented in a new, window. Once you select "Replace" the file opened.

• 14. Re: having a problem in "Research Notes" Template
                                    philmodjunk

You should not need a compatible application installed on the server. As far as fileMaker is concerned, it's storing either a bit image of the file or a reference to where it is located. By "see it in the container" I mean that as long as you can see the icon for a file in the container, you can export it to your client machine. The client machine would need a compatible app to open the file.

Export field contents should work equally well for files that are embedded and for files that are inserted/imported with the store a reference option.

1 2 Previous Next