3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 10:59 AM by philmodjunk

Having a problem with Conditional Value Lists

SteveRicci

Title

Having a problem with Conditional Value Lists

Hi all,

I am having a problem with conditional value lists in an invoice.  I have been watched a bunch of tutorials and tried to figure this out for a few days now and I still can't get it and I am hoping someone could shed some light on the situation.  I will explain the simplified version of what I am trying to accomplish.

I have a "Customer" table where all customer company names and their addresses are stored. Then I have a "Contacts" table where any contacts are stored that belong to a company listed in the "Customer" table. There can be multiple contacts that belong to any given customer. In the "Contacts" layout there is a simple value list pop-up that displays all of the current customers to choose from (This value list is not a problem and works fine). Lastly, there is an "Invoice" table and layout where there will be two pop-ups, the first one allows the user to choose the "Customer" that they are creating the invoice for. The second pop-up will display the "Contacts" that only belong to the current customer selected in the first "Customer" pop-up (This is where I am having my problem) =( .

Also, on the "Invoice" layout I have the address fields being populated by data based upon the "Customer" pop-up selection and the email field being populated with data based upon the "Contact" pop-up selection.

I have tried various different ways to try and get this work and I have not been able to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have included a few screenshots to help explain my dilema. Thank you in advance.

~Steve

Invoice_Value_List_Problem.png

• 1. Re: Having a problem with Conditional Value Lists
          philmodjunk

You'll need a relationship between invoices and contacts that looks like this:

Invoices::CompanyID = ContactsByCompany::CompanyID

ContactsByCompany is a new table occurrence of Contacts you create by clicking on Contacts, then clicking the button with two green plus signs in the bottom corner of Manage | Database | Relationships.

With that relationship defined, you can set up a value list that lists ContactID and Contact Name from ContactsByCompany, use only related values starting from Invoices.

• 2. Re: Having a problem with Conditional Value Lists
            SteveRicci

PhilModJunk,  Thank you very much, this worked perfectly! 

I have been racking my brain for a few days trying to figure out how to setup the relationship and the related table dropdown for this to work. I learned a lot about relationships while trying to figure it out (but obviously I didnt learn enough =P ). Is there anything that you would recommend reading that explains a very indepth detail about relationships and the filemaker database structure.

Once again, thank you very much and have a great day!

~Steve

• 3. Re: Having a problem with Conditional Value Lists
              philmodjunk

I learned databases in college while getting a degree in computer science quite a few years ago. I then taught myself FileMaker when the current version was 2.1 and have been using it ever since. The FileMaker Training Series: Master the essentials of FileMaker 11 seems pretty decent, but I haven't read or examined any other publications that are available to compare it too.

Others have recommended the "Missing manual" text, but I haven't seen a copy to be able to recommend for or against it.