1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2015 6:53 AM by philmodjunk

having content in my clipboard means I can't link to a movie file

zinny

Title

having content in my clipboard means I can't link to a movie file

Hi I have a really weird experience in FM13.

I have a script that copies a field to the clip board as text so I can alter the name of a movie file before linking it to FM.

When I go to link the movie (which I need to be an old style, unmanaged link to a external server so no drag or drop possible or managed options) by right clicking on the container field (set as a interactive container) it brings up an edit popup with everything but paste available instead of the insert audio/video option that I need.

If I do paste it puts the text from the copy into the field. This is not a problem that happens in FM11

Why is it doing it? How do I clear the clipboard contents?

Thanks

• 1. Re: having content in my clipboard means I can't link to a movie file
          philmodjunk

Dont' see how this would work in any version of filemaker as you are pasting text into a container field. If you select a file object or a container field and copy it, (not text) you would be able to paste that object or image into the field. But to insert the file "by reference" you would not paste data anymore than you would drag and drop. you'd use the insert option to insert it and you would not insert text or a file name, but a File path based reference to the file that includes more than just the file name.

I will also note that an interactive option does not exist for container fields in FileMaker 11, so if you are sure that this worked in FileMaker 11, try pasting into a field that is NOT optimized for interactive content.