3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 2:19 PM by KIDO

Having problems

rugger

Title

Having problems

Hi there, hopefully someone can help me with this.  I am very new to Filemaker so bear with me.  I work for a non-profit service organization and have tried to create a donor history tab with 3 categories (fields): "Donation date", "Donation amount", and "Donation for" (aspect of our org).  Where I'm having trouble is through trying to create multiple text boxes for each category, sort of like an excel spread sheet.  When I enter a number in one box, it puts the same number in EVERY box, and I can't seem to change that.  Any thoughts?

bob. 

• 1. Re: Having problems
          DonorTracker

rugger wrote:

Hi there, hopefully someone can help me with this.  I am very new to Filemaker so bear with me.  I work for a non-profit service organization and have tried to create a donor history tab with 3 categories (fields): "Donation date", "Donation amount", and "Donation for" (aspect of our org).  Where I'm having trouble is through trying to create multiple text boxes for each category, sort of like an excel spread sheet.  When I enter a number in one box, it puts the same number in EVERY box, and I can't seem to change that.  Any thoughts?

bob. 

Bob,

I'm having a hard time following what you are describing. Could you come at the description again, perhaps from a different angle?  Thanks!

Are the "Donation for" categories numbers -- or words -- in a pop-up list?

• 2. Re: Having problems
            philmodjunk

"When I enter a number in one box, it puts the same number in EVERY box, and I can't seem to change that"

It sounds like you are creating multiple copies of the same field while in layout mode in order to get a spreadsheet like layout. This, as you've discovered, won't work.

This may help you understand what's going on:

In a spreadsheet your screen is divided into rows and columns. The intersection of any given row with any given column gives you a cell (the text box to use your terms).

In a database your rows of data become a "record" and each individual field's name that you create is roughly the same as a column heading in a spreadsheet. Each field corresponds to a spreadsheet's cell.

Unlike a spreadsheet, you have to create each new record before you can store data in it. It's kind of like having a spreadsheet that starts out with either one or zero rows and you have to create new rows to add them to the spread sheet.

Try this experiment and see if it solves the problem.

Enter layout mode.

Select Layouts | New layout... and follow the steps for creating either a list/report style layout or a table style layout.

Return to browse mode and select Records | New Record a few times and watch what happens.

• 3. Re: Having problems
              KIDO

Hello, rugger

Welcome to the forum.

If  I didn't misunderstand, you want to see your data in a layout similar to a spreadsheet and be able to enter new records as well. Although possible, it would be a very complex task which effort and time spent wouldn't be worth of. However, I think the following suggestion might suit you to have a sort of spreadsheet visual effect.

Select your form in layout mode and then MENU / LAYOUTS / LAYOUT SETUP....; a pop-up window will appear. Select Views and check the box Table View, if not already checked. Click OK and change your layout to Browse Mode.

Now select MENU / VIEW / View as Table.

I believe that this is the closest you can get. You can modify your layout and include fields from related tables as well.

Best wishes