3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 9:34 AM by mrvodka

Having problems creating summary report

red_fire_farm

Title

Having problems creating summary report

I am in desperate need of assistance.  I have read and re-read the instruction on creating summary reports and nothing is working.  Our farm is using Filemaker Pro 10 to track our CSA members and our database contains nearly 900 names.   Many of our members pay via a monthly installment plan and I have created a tab in my database under each persons contact information, which contains fields "payment 6/1", "payment 7/1", "payment 8/1", etc. 

I am trying to create a summary report that I can run that will show me a totall for what has been collected for each month.  I have followed the steps in the New Layout/Report section and the report shows up when I'm done, but there is no data in the report.  I can't figure out how to summarize the information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

(We just bought FM Pro for this growing season so I'm still new to the system).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Red Fire Farm

• 1. Re: Having problems creating summary report
          mrvodka
             No you should not be creating filed for each month. Instead, you should have a table that stores your payment records. You should have a date paid and then you can create a calculation field of Date ( Month ( datepaid ); 1; Year ( datepaid ) ). This will give you a universal date of the first day in the month that the payment was made. You can then create your subsummary grouped by this calc field.
          • 2. Re: Having problems creating summary report
            red_fire_farm

Thank you Mr Vodka for responding.  I guess I'm in over my head because now I don't know how to change the database that I've created.  I used the template "contact management" and customized it to my needs.  The top of the each record has the customers name, address, phone, e-mail, etc.  I have three tabs on the bottom, the first lists the customers individual purchase info, the second their payment infor and the last one is to add notes (although that's not working either but one problem at a time).

How would I convert the tab with the payment fields into a table? or do I need to start over? 

Thanks again and any more information would be great.

Mark

• 3. Re: Having problems creating summary report
              mrvodka

No you can create a new payment table and then use a portal in your payment tab to display the payment records. When you go to print your report, you will want to go to a layout based on your payments ( could be the report layout), find the records that you want on your report ( for example just 2009 maybe? ), sort and print the report.

If you open a new copy of  contact managment template, I think they show you a portal in action on one of the tabs.