7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2015 2:19 PM by philmodjunk

Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13

AshleyFranklin

Title

Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13

This is my first development project, and I'm having trouble entering data in browse mode.  I've set up layouts and imported a few files from FM12 format.  In Browse mode, some of my "edit box" fields work and others don't.  Using the "Inspector" feature, I can't find any difference between the set up in the "Data" tab and "Behavior" subsection.  I have the box checked for field entry in both Browse and Find modes.  I'm having the same trouble when I view as Form or view as List.  Similarly, I can't get any of my drop down menus to work in browse mode.  In Find mode, I can type in the fields where the "looking glass" icon is, but the data I'm typing doesn't stay.

Basically, I imported about 1/2 of the data I needed from an older FM12 format, and I'm trying to manually enter some or copy/paste some of the other data for a small number of records (<50).  

Any suggestions are welcome.

• 1. Re: Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13
          philmodjunk

I've set up layouts and imported a few files from FM12 format.

Fmp 12, 13, and 14 all use the same file format so there would be no need to import any files. All you need do is open them with the new version.

• 2. Re: Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13
            AshleyFranklin

You're right that I can just open the format.  My fields and organization have changed a lot, so I just started a new layout from scratch.  I can't figure out why I'm having trouble entering data in browse mode though.

• 3. Re: Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13
              philmodjunk

You'll need to describe the design of your database and it's layouts. There are a number of reasons why you might not be able to enter data into a field while in Browse mode.

• 4. Re: Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13
                AshleyFranklin

I've uploaded an image of my relationships where you can see I have one main parent table.  By default, each table generated a layout.   I really only used 3 of those, and they were all simple one-page layouts where I used only the fields from that table. However, I created 7 other multiple page layouts which I am really using  in everyday life(this may be where I went wrong).  The 7 layouts I created are all associated with the Scenario table (which is my main parent table).

My goal was to have 1 main layout per record and six other variations that different users may find most helpful.  This is a project I'm using as a nurse educator where a record represents a patient file.  So, none of my records need to relate (no invoices, products, etc.)

Of the data I imported, the relationships seem to function as I planned meaning that data copied/populated where I intended it to.  But, I can't enter data in Browse mode.

I should say that I'm a nurse, so my database knowledge is limited.  I used a previous version of FM Pro at a previous employer to accomplish this task, but I don't have access to their layouts.  I've used lots of lynda.com videos to get me this far.

Thanks for helping me out.

• 5. Re: Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13
                  philmodjunk

Are the fields that you cannot edit, fields from a related table?

If so, perhaps you didn't enable the "allow creation of records via this relationship" option for the relationship between the layout's table occurrence and that of the related table occurrence from which that related field was specified?

Also, you may need to confirm that your imported data has values in the __pk and __fk fields and that they match values as they should. An error during importing could have affected what value, if any is present in those fields.

• 6. Re: Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13
                    AshleyFranklin

Thank you so much for your recommendation.  Your suggestion to "allow creation of records via this relationship" worked.

Now, I'm wrestling with 2 more issues.  

First, I'm trying to make a layout that is a Home page and functions as an index of records.  I created a table and a layout for this and would like to integrate a button that will open the record.  In my relationship diagram, my home screen table is an fk of the pk Scenario main file  The Scenario names is how I will refer to my records.  I verified that the relationship allows for creation of records via the fk and pk relationship.  When I set up my button, I selected open record/request and also checked the box for the cursor to turn into a hand symbol.  But, when I click over to browse mode and click to button, nothing happens.  I'm not familiar enough with scripts to know if there are other steps I am missing.

My second problem is just visual.  I've tried to outline some boxes and create visual breaks in fields.  I've done this with the Inspector tool/appearance tab and selected the borders of my field.  In browse and layout modes, these are visible.  But, in print preview and when I actually print, the boxes are not visible.  Any tips?

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Having trouble entering data in browse mode in FM Pro 13
                      philmodjunk

First, Open Record/Request doesn't do what you think that it does. In Browse mode, this simply changes the "edit state" of the current layout record to "open for editing". This is what would happen if you simply clicked or tabbed into a field on this same layout. This locks other users and other windows from editing this record until it is once again committed. I doubt that's what you wanted to happen here.

What did you want to see happen on your screen with this?

The second problem is easily corrected and is due to an annoying feature added with FileMaker 12. Open layout setup and clear the "delineate" check box. This option causes all field formatting such as borders and fill colors to only be applied to the current record.

What's particularly irritating about this is:

a) "Selected" is the default setting for a new layout when it either does not have any effect on the layout (Form view) or is the undesired opton (List view). There are cases where this is a very nice feature, but only for a very few layouts.

b) it affects how a layout prints and previews! That just makes no sense at all as this is a feature intended to enhance your interface design while in Browse mode.