4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 11:42 AM by philmodjunk

Having trouble importing record label data

RobWheeler

Title

Having trouble importing record label data

How can i import this data in the screen shot?

i linked the column names and that work but created a new page for every row, as you can see the first 14 rows relate to 1 album so all that info needs to be on the same page.

the spreadsheet im dealing with is much bigger with many more columns, the screenshot is just a smaller version for a visual aid to help explain what i need to do.

I'm new to this software so to be honest i don't 100% know what i'm doing! i'm good with excel though...

Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_15.35.23.png

• 1. Re: Having trouble importing record label data
          philmodjunk

but created a new page for every row,

Actually, it created a new RECORD for every row of imported data and this is expected behavior.

It looks like you need two related tables and need to import this data twice--once into each table:

CDs------<Tracks

CDs::Cat Number = Tracks::Cat Number

In CDs, set up field options for Cat Number to specify "Unique values" and also "validate always".

Import first into CDs, and map only the first 4 columns to import into fields of the CDs table. During the import, the field options I've specified will filter out duplicates producing one record for each unique Cat Number.

Import second into Tracks where you import Cat Number again, plus the last 3 columns.

If you put a portal to Tracks on your CDs layout, you can list all the Tracks for a given CD. You can also set up a list or table view in Tracks and include the fileds from CDs to reproduce the tabular view of your data that you show here.

• 2. Re: Having trouble importing record label data
            RobWheeler

Wow thanks for the quick and detailed response!

i will give what you said a go, i'll work with a the screen shot spreadsheet first to make sure i can do it then try with the full spreadsheet (roughly 3000 rows and 30 columns!)

i'll post back in a bit whether i did it or not!

• 3. Re: Having trouble importing record label data
              RobWheeler

I'm a bit stuck... i think i've done this part right:

CDs------<Tracks

CDs::Cat Number = Tracks::Cat Number

In CDs, set up field options for Cat Number to specify "Unique values" and also "validate always".

but do i import the spreadsheet in Manage database > Tables > CDs > im port?

If so it won't let me, i've attached a screen shot

• 4. Re: Having trouble importing record label data
                philmodjunk

You do not import records from within Manage | database. You go to a layout based on that table and then select this option from the File menu.