6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2010 4:19 PM by Atrot

Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's

Atrot

Title

Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's

Im using FMpro10 on Windows XP and am having trouble with container fields keeping the objects/files/images I'm inserting into them.

If I insert an object an Image or File into a container field (without the "store only as a reference" option ticked) it is unable to be found when this is opened from another PC.

Then if I close the file and open it again, even though the file is still there and you can still see the thumb nail it is "unable to be found" by filemaker.

Is there somthing I'm not doing?

• 1. Re: Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's
          philmodjunk

What file type are you inserting?

"unable to be found" is indicative that store by reference was indeed selected when the image was inserted.

Note that quick time files can only be inserted by reference, so this may explain the issue you've encountered.

• 2. Re: Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's
            MattTorta

Im inserting .jpg files

I'm certian that the store by reference wasn't ticked, I'm quite aware of that and the fact that you can tell by the icon/thumbnail if it has been ticked or not because the "shortcut" symbol appears in the bottom left corner of the thumbnail.

oh and I'm not using quick time files.

The three main file types I've been trying to insert into my records are .jpg, .bat and vnc link files.

Are there any experiments I can do to prove/disprove whether somthing is working or not?

Ok, So I just tried saving a copy of the FM database file to my desktop.

closed the filemaker program.

Opened up the program from the FM database file on my desktop.

Inserted a .jpg into my container field.

Sucessfully opened the .jpg from the container field.

Closed the FM database file.

Opened the same FM database file again from my desktop but this time when I tried to open the .jpg from my container field I got the error "the file could not be found".

The icon of the image is still there (and withouth the shortcut symbol in it). Running out of hair to pull out haha...

• 3. Re: Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's
              philmodjunk

What exact steps are you taking to insert the file?

Are you using Insert File, or Insert Picture?

How exactly are you trying to "open the .jpg from my container field". Double-clicking the container field or using Export field contents?

• 4. Re: Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's
                Atrot

left clicking on the container field, selecting either insert image or insert file.

I'm opening it by making the container field into a button which triggers the "send event" function which is a calculation

= container field (which is the container field containing the image/file.)

I find without the "send event" function I've set up then the container field does contain the image/file but you are unable to open it, that is unless the "store as a referance" is ticket when inserting in which case it can be opened by double clicking on the container field (but this will only work locally).

• 5. Re: Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's
                  philmodjunk

Send event sends an event to a file somewhere in your system. Since this image is stored in your container field and not by reference, there is no file being specified to which to send the event.

Try using Export Field Contents in your script to open the file instead. You can export the field to your temporary items folder so that you don't clutter up your desktop or hard drive with a lot of files when you do this.

• 6. Re: Having trouble inserting files/images and accessing them from other PC's
                    Atrot

Thanks Phil, this helped but I ended up going about it in a much more simple way.

My images now open in an enlarged version of the container field on a diferent form.

The other files have been stored on the server and are triggered successfully from there every time.