12 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2012 1:51 PM by SW

Having trouble setting A4 page size

SW

Title

Having trouble setting A4 page size

Hi

I'm trying to create a layout that is simple text on a white background, to be printed on a single A4 sheet.  For some reason I can't make the layout size exactly A4, and although I have been able to change the body part background to white (and deleted the header and footer parts) I haven't been able to find how to change the default background colour of the page as a whole (ie the bit of the A4 page that is left after the white printed body part ends).  That extra bit prints as grey, which means I get a fine grey line at the end of the page.

I'm new to FileMaker, but no-one else seems to have this issue.  I must be missing something really obvious?

• 1. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
          philmodjunk

how did you change the color to white? Did you click the body part label and then select White as the fill color?

You shouldn't need to size the body to exactly the printable area used by your printer for your paper size and orientation. FileMaker will just leave the unused part of the page blank when you print. If you enter layout mode and select the printer, page size, page orientation in printer setup, you'll see a horizontal line marking the page break if your layout is larger than one page. As long as the layout is at least a small amount smaller than that, you should get what you need here.

• 2. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
            SW

Yes - I deleted the header and footer parts and then changed the backgroud of the body part to pure white.  There are no other parts to the layout.

Strangely, when I had a header part as well there was a very fine grey line printed between the body part and the header part, even though the backgrounds of both parts were set as pure white.

The problem seems to be that FileMaker is printing the unused section of the page as grey.  I can't see a setting that relates to the unused section of the A4 page that is outside the layout (and I can't see a logical reason why there would be such a setting - but then I can't see why FileMaker would be colouring the section gray either).

Any help is hugely appreciated - thanks! 

• 3. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
              SW

And a quick additional note.  I've established that the problem occurs on different printers, and also if I print to pdf.  Weird...

• 4. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

What do you see in Preview Mode?

Can you upload a screen shot of your layout while it is in layout mode?

What options did you select in the print dialog when you printed?

• 5. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                  SW

FM12 running on OSX 10.6.8

I've uploaded screen shots of

* the print options settings

* the page setup settings

* the layout settings

* the layout (browse mode)

* the layout in preview

* the layout in the editor

• 6. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                    philmodjunk

What file types did you upload? Note that if they aren't one of the types listed next to the upload controls: Jpeg, gif or png, they'll upload but won't appear in the forum. Thus PDF's won't work for your screen shots.

• 7. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                      SW

oops - I should have read the file specifications twice.

I've now uploaded the layout mode screenshot.
                      In the print dialogue I've selected printing pages 1 to 1, current record.
                      In the page setup dialogue I've selected A4 paper size at 100% scaling portrait
                      In the layout setup (under the printing tab) I've selected Use fixed page margins with some small values (eg 0.63cm) left and right, but no margins top and bottom
                      Thanks!
                      • 8. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                        SW

...and preview mode is this image

• 9. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                          philmodjunk

The grey appears to be showing the margins--which is expected behavior in preview mode. If you print or save as PDF, do you get these grey areas?

• 10. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                            SW

Yes, the grey areas appear in print and PDF exactly as per the preview.

I'm working around it now by extending the layout beyond the first page, but only printing the first page, but I'm still curious to know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                              philmodjunk

I don't see that you are doing anything wrong yet you are getting results that don't match mine on my Windows system. I'm attaching a screen shot of a PDF that I saved and then opened from Filemaker 12:

I think at this point you should post a report on this in Report an Isssue. (See tab at top of screen). You can save typing by including a link to this thread in the report you post there.

• 12. Re: Having trouble setting A4 page size
                                SW

Shall do - and thanks for all your help on this!