1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 10:40 AM by TSGal

Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing

imnxcguy

Title

Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing

OK, I'm missing something here, I guess I'm unclear on the concept. Please help.

I'm trying to publish a VERY simple contact list on the web using Filemaker Pro 9. I have a web domain, web host, etc. I created the database, put it in my local root folder, then uploaded it to my host. I turned Instant Web Publishing on in the Sharing menu.

When I go to the web address of the file on my domain, it either gives me a dialog box asking me to download the file (using Firefox), or Safari shows it in the browser as unreadable text (�������HBAM2101OCT99ÁHPro ...).

What am I doing wrong? I thought I (and others I'm sharing with) would be able to access the file using my browser. I thought I was following the directions closely!

Thanks!

Mark

• 1. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
          imnxcguy

Addendum, sorry for the problem posting...

Before all the junk text, it should read....

"When I go to the web address of the file on my domain, it either gives me a dialog box asking me to download the file (using Firefox), or Safari shows it in the browser as unreadable text (example: (�����)."

Thanks!

Mark

• 2. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
            rmanook

Hi imnxcguy,

Thanks for posting!

First: I edited your first post just to delete the super long string of question mark icons that stretched the page  :smileyhappy:

In order to use Instant Web Publishing with FileMaker Pro 9, you will not need a web domain, web host, etc.  All you need is the following:

1.  Let's assume that you have a .fp7 file titled 'Contact List'

2.  Launch FMP 9 and open your Contact List database

3.  Go to File > Sharing > Instant Web Publishing

4.  Turn Web Publishing On and make sure to select All Users for access (you can change this later on, but for testing purposes we'll just use All Users)

5.  Click OK to exit the window

6.  Go to File > Manage > Accounts and Privileges

7.  Edit the Admin Account and in the next window, click on the Edit button next to the Privilege Set drop down menu

8.  In the Extended Privileges section, make sure to check the box 'Access via Instant Web Publishing (fmiwp)'

9.  Click OK out of the windows

10.  Leave FMP 9 and the database Open and then launch a web browser

12.  Enter the following URL: <ipaddress>/fmi/iwp

13.   Your database should now appear

Notes:

a.  If you get a message that there is a port conflict when turning Instant Web Publishing ON, try port 591.  This will result in the following URL change: <ipaddress>:591/fmi/iwp

b.  The application and database file must be open for users to access it (with FileMaker Server, the database and application are run as services in the background) 

Finally, here is a link to a very useful guide for FileMaker Pro 9 and IWP listed on our website:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fm9_instant_web_publish_en.pdf

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
              imnxcguy

Dear ts_turtle,

Thanks very much for helping out. Typing in my IP address and /fmi/iwp does get me to the Databas, and it works great. 

But I guess I'm still missing one aspect: Does the database ALWAYS need to be open, AND my computer turned on, for anyone to access it? Is there a way to put it somewhere (like on a web host) where I don't have to have my computer accessible 24/7 AND the file opened?

Thanks,

• 4. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                TSGal

imnxcguy:

For Instant Web Publishing to be active, FileMaker Pro needs to be launched.  Therefore, if you close down the database, nobody will be able to view your information.

There are FileMaker web hosting services available.  You can search on our web site for consultants that offer web hosting services.  Go to:   http://developer.filemaker.com/search/

For any forum member who does web hosting and wants to offer their services, please contact the customer privately (top of this page - right side - X Messages).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                  imnxcguy

Thanks for the info. I guess that puts me back to my original question in part: if I already have a domain, website and a hosting company, couldn't I put the file there somehow? What would I need to do that?

Mark

• 6. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                    TSGal

imnxcguy:

If you already have a domain, website and hosting company, then make sure to put both FileMaker Pro (or FileMaker Server Advanced if you are going to have more than five web users access simultaneously) and your database file on the site.  Launch FileMaker Pro, turn on Instant Web Publishing and you should be good to go.  To test it out, launch a browser and access the domain name.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                      imnxcguy
                         Thanks. Additional question, though. How do I "launch" Filemaker Pro via a webhost?
                      • 8. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                        TSGal

imnxcguy:

It sounds like you are not the hosting site.  That means the person doing the hosting would have to have FileMaker Pro launched.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                          imnxcguy

OK, new problem, but related. I can access the file going to that web address (http://"my ip address"/fmi/iwp) on my desktop and laptop, but no one else can. What am I missing here? I have the Instant Web Publishing button turned on, Network Sharing for the file is turned on, the file is open on my desktop, Filemaker Pro is running...???

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                            TSGal

imnxguy:

We're getting closer...

It sounds like you don't have your system preferences set to share your computer.  You didn't say what type of computer you are using, but in your initial posts, you mention Safari and Firefox, so I'm assuming you are using a Mac.

Pull down the Apple menu and select "System Preferences".  Click the Sharing folder, and check the Web Sharing checkbox and File Sharing checkbox.  Close System Preferences, and you should now be able to see the file from another machine.

Please continue to keep me posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                              imnxcguy

Wow, this is hard. I must be really obtuse.

I did as recommended, clicked the Web Sharing box (File sharing was already on) in the Sharing Preferences on my Mac. (It says that I have to put the file into my "Sites" folder? Is that true?)

Then, when I open up the file (either in my sites folder or on my desktop, I tried it both ways), it says that port 80 isn't allowed for web sharing. So I read through the docs, and changed the port as instructed to 591. ("The TCP/IP address in the Instant Web Publishing dialog box determines where web browsers can find FileMaker Pro databases on the host computer. By default, FileMaker files are shared from port 80. If port 80 is already in use (by a web server or another application), consider changing TCP/IP Port Number to 591.")

Then I try to connect, and it gives me  a 404 message ("Not Found

The requested URL /fmi/iwp was not found on this server.")

Thanks for ALL your help. It really is appreciated. I'm pretty close to giving up, though. Now, it's just the bulldog in me that wants to figure it out.

Mark

• 12. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                                TSGal

imnxcguy:

Let's make sure you can see the file first.

1. Launch FileMaker Pro and the database file on one machine.  Write down the IP address.

2. Go to the other machine, and since the port number on the other machine was changed to 591, open your browser and enter:

http://<IP Address>:591

Let me know if the file is now displayed.

If not, then return to the other machine, pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing".  Make sure it is turned on, select the file (under Current open files) and set the access to "All users".

Try again from the other machine.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                                  imnxcguy

Not there yet....

When I type in the IP address followed by :591, I can access it via my laptop, which is networked to the desktop. But I can't access it remotely from a computer at another location, say, at my office.

Also, your instructions to set the access to "All Users" isn't working, because the dialog box of Instant Web Publishing access to file is greyed out. It says Access is permitted, but cannot be changed. But in the greyed box, the radio button "All users" is selected.

How does one log into a database using a different account? The Manage menu is also greyed out in the File menu.

Mark

• 14. Re: Having Trouble using Instant Web Publishing
                                    TSGal

imnxcguy:

If you're unable to get access to the file (menu items are greyed out), then it sounds like your database file has a password and you don't have full access to the file.  Hold down the option key as you open the file, and it will prompt you for a password.  Enter the password that allows you full access to the file so you can then make your changes.

What message do you receive when you enter http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:591 from another location?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 3 Previous Next