4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 2:41 PM by ABuchtel

Header Displays in Preview but will not Print

ABuchtel

Title

Header Displays in Preview but will not Print

I have a field that I want to appear on pages other than Page 1, so I created a HEADER Part in my Layout, and placed the field there. When I Browse the Layout, or use Preview, the text appears exactly as I want it to. However, when I print the document either to a physical printer or as a PDF file, the field does not display on the printout. I have even tried setting the top margin to an absurd 3 inches, just to make sure it wasn't the printer's Print Area causing the problem, but the field just will not print. 

If anyone has any other suggestions I can try, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Header Displays in Preview but will not Print
          philmodjunk

Are you printing more than one page?

Are you printing a found set of multiple records or just one record?

Is this field in the header a field with global storage specified?

Is it from a related table

In a list view layout, if you put a field that is not a global field in the header and is not from a related table where the relationship links the same record from the related table to all records in your found set, what value from that field appears in the record will be different depending on whether or not you are in Browse mode. In Browse mode, the field displays data from the current record. In Preview and when printing/saving as PDF, the field displays data from the first record on the page. And in Preview, you automatically see a preview starting from the first record in your found set--which may not be the records that you are looking at in browse mode or when you print/save as PDF in some cases.

A field can also have a "hide when printing" setting specified, but that seems an unlikely possibility here.

• 2. Re: Header Displays in Preview but will not Print
            ABuchtel
                 Hi: I appreciate your help! I am printing a “Printer”-based report in “Form” view. This report layout is based on the “Events Menu” table. The “Body” data comes from the “Events Menu” table. Data in the SubSummary and Header Parts are from the “Events” table. Those two tables are related by the field EVENTNUM. 

About 50% of the time, the report is only one page. The point of the header is so when pages are printed out, you can easily identify which subsequent pages (2 or 3) belong with the more clearly marked Page 1. 

The fields I have in the Header Part is:  Events::EventID and Events::AccountName
                 They are not global fields. The fields are definitely NOT marked as “Hide when printing”.

I have two scenarios:

“Print Only this Event’s Menu”:  On the Events layout is a button with a script that goes to a Related Record from the “Event Menus” table and Matches the Current Record Only.It then sorts those records:
                       EventMenus::fkEVENTNUM
                       EventMenus::ItemLineSort

“Print this Week’s Events Menus”: On the Events layout is a button with a script that finds all of the records in “Event Menus” for the Events of this week. It then sorts those records:
                       Events::DateofEvent
                       EventMenus::fkEVENTNUM
                       EventMenus::ItemLineSort

Thank you for your help!
            • 3. Re: Header Displays in Preview but will not Print
              philmodjunk

What you describe here, if you have one record to a page, seems like it should work for you.

That's all that I can tell from here without an even more detailed understanding of your layout and database design.

• 4. Re: Header Displays in Preview but will not Print
                ABuchtel

So I went ahead and deleted the field from the header, and deleted the Header Part as well. Then I saved the Layout, and closed the Database file entirely. I went back into the Database, went to the correct Layout, re-created the Header Part, added back the field, and now everything work as it is supposed to. :-)

Thanks.