1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 9:42 AM by philmodjunk

Hello, I am new to FileMaker 13 pro, and I am experiencing issues with a form that I’m using for a...

Malcolm_2

Hello, I am new to FileMaker 13 pro, and I am experiencing issues with a form that I’m using for a travel clinic. The following is a case statement which calls a text prescription, dosage, and number of pills to be dispensed. Because dosage for children is dependent upon their weight, there are four distinct weight ranges and therefore associated subsequent dosing. The statement is calling to initially check that the parents have accepted (‘accept’, or ‘decline’ radio buttons) the medication recommendation.  Then check that the dosage calculation field is not empty (only one of four choices for dosage will return the correct dose and fill the field). The statement is then supposed to call the prescription, insert the correct dosage, and finally insert the correct number of tablets for the complete journey, into the prescription. Each of the statements independently works correctly, but when combined in the case statement as I have written it, the statement returns only the first choice.   All fields are formatted as text. This is my first attempt at using FileMaker, so I would greatly appreciate any assistance that experts may offer. Malcolm Case( (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone2 )) ; GetAsText (Malarone Rx paed)  & ¶ &  GetAsText ( Paed Malarone2 ) &"     MITTE:  "& GetAsText ( Paed Malarone2Total2) ; (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone3 )) ; GetAsText (Malarone Rx paed)  & ¶ &  GetAsText ( Paed Malarone3 ) &"      MITTE: "& GetAsText (Paed Malarone3Total3) ; (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone4 )) ; GetAsText (Malarone Rx paed)  & ¶ &  GetAsText ( Paed Malarone4 ) &"      MITTE: "& GetAsText ( Paed Malarone4Total4) ; (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone5 )) ; GetAsText (Malarone Rx adult)  & ¶ &  GetAsText ( Paed Malarone5 ) &"      MITTE: "& GetAsText ( Malarone Tabs); " ")

• 1. Re: Hello, I am new to FileMaker 13 pro, and I am experiencing issues with a form that I’m using for a...
          philmodjunk

By anychance did you use a smartphone or iPad to post this message? It's very difficult to read.

Hello, I am new to FileMaker 13 pro, and I am experiencing issues with a form that I’m using for a travel clinic. The following is a case statement which calls a text prescription, dosage, and number of pills to be dispensed.

Because dosage for children is dependent upon their weight, there are four distinct weight ranges and therefore associated subsequent dosing. The statement is calling to initially check that the parents have accepted (‘accept’, or ‘decline’ radio buttons) the medication recommendation. Then check that the dosage calculation field is not empty (only one of four choices for dosage will return the correct dose and fill the field). The statement is then supposed to call the prescription, insert the correct dosage, and finally insert the correct number of tablets for the complete journey, into the prescription.

Each of the statements independently works correctly, but when combined in the case statement as I have written it, the statement returns only the first choice. All fields are formatted as text.

This is my first attempt at using FileMaker, so I would greatly appreciate any assistance that experts may offer.

Malcolm

Case( (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone2 )) ;
                                 GetAsText (Malarone Rx paed) & ¶ & GetAsText ( Paed Malarone2 ) &" MITTE: "& GetAsText ( Paed Malarone2Total2) ;
                          (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone3 )) ;
                                  GetAsText (Malarone Rx paed) & ¶ & GetAsText ( Paed Malarone3 ) &" MITTE: "& GetAsText (Paed Malarone3Total3) ;
                          (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone4 )) ;
                                   GetAsText (Malarone Rx paed) & ¶ & GetAsText ( Paed Malarone4 ) &" MITTE: "& GetAsText ( Paed Malarone4Total4) ;
                          (PaedMalUptake = "accept") and (not IsEmpty ( Paed Malarone5 )) ;
                                    GetAsText (Malarone Rx adult) & ¶ & GetAsText ( Paed Malarone5 ) &" MITTE: "& GetAsText ( Malarone Tabs);
                           " ")

Without seeing the actual data, I can't be sure, but I suspect that you don't understand how a Case function works. If PaedMalUptake = "accept" and the Paed Malarone2 field is not empty, then the data returned by

GetAsText (Malarone Rx paed) & ¶ & GetAsText ( Paed Malarone2 ) &" MITTE: "& GetAsText ( Paed Malarone2Total2)

Is all that you will see in your calculation field. The values in Paed Malaraone3, Paed Malarone4 and Paed Malarone5 will have no effect on the text returned if the first set of conditions are met.