8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 6:19 AM by philmodjunk

Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...

justjoker

Hello,

I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show Trades with Mistakes that are listed in a Value list based on List of Mistakes table.

O Trades layout I'm trying to make a portal from related table Trading Mistakes (which is related to List of Mistakes), but the portal does not show up ID_List of Mistakes field. So, I cannot use Go to Related Record to edit mistakes in the value list.

I think I'm doing something wrong with relationship...

Any help?

Thanks and kind regards,

Sergey

Relations%2C_Portal_and_Value_List.png

• 1. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
          philmodjunk

but the portal does not show up ID_List of Mistakes field.

Are you referring to the ID_List of Mistake field in Trading Mistakes or ID_List of Mistakes in List of Mistakes?

If you are placing the List of Mistakes::ID_List of Mistakes field in your portal, it will not show any data unless there is a matching value in Trading Mistakes::ID_List of Mastake. But this would seem a strange place to try to correct mistakes in the List of Mistakes::ID_List of Mistakes field given the fact that you have to have a working link from a record in Trading Mistakes before any value in that field would be visible.

• 2. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
            justjoker

I mean ID List of Mistake from List of Mistakes table. I use a script to open a new window by GotoRelatedRecord to be able to edit mistakes at List of mistakes table which is used as a Value list for Tradind Mistakes table (portal at Trades)

• 3. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
              justjoker

But I can't get the record selected in the new window.  The system says that layout cannot fulfill the operation or something like that...

• 4. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
                philmodjunk

You'll need to explain in more detail what exactly you are doing. What options do you select for the Go To Related Records step?

Exactly how are you able to" edit mistakes at List of mistakes table"? Are you adding new records? Editing data in existing ones?

GTRR from the portal row to Trading Mistakes to open a window to List of Mistakes won't do anything unless that record has a value in ID_List of Mistake that matches the value of ID_List of Mistakes in a List of Mistakes record. If the field is empty or has a value that doesn't match, this script step fails to do anything but silently return an error code.

• 5. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
                  justjoker

I made a portal at Trades based on Trading Mistakes table. Then I enter data to the Mistake field of Trading Mistakes from a Value list based on Mistake field of List of Mistakes table (drop down list)

Value list (List of Mistakes) is previously filled. 

I get Mistake text field data but ID-List of mistake remains blank. So, you are right, I cannot use GTRR to open Value list at the separate window to edit mistakes at the list and add new ones.

As soon as Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes tables are related, I thought that I''d be able to use GTRR. ..

Sergey

• 6. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
                    philmodjunk

Then I enter data to the Mistake field of Trading Mistakes from a Value list based on Mistake field of List of Mistakes table (drop down list)

That doesn't appear to be set up correctly. There should be no mistake fiel din the Trading Mistakes table. That sounds like a field to define in List of Mistakes. The Trading Mistakes::ID_List of Mistake field  is normally set up as a value list of IDs and a text field (Mistake field from List of Mistakes?) used to identify the ID being selected. By selecting a mistake in this value list, other fields, such as a Mistake field from List of Mistakes can be added to the portal row to show the Mistake that was selected from the value list.

• 7. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
                      justjoker

Hello again!

Thank you very much. GTRR now works fine as I finally got the point with the  relations.

A new question if you don't mind.

In my portal I've placed Trading List of Mistakes::Mistake text field above List of Mistakes::ID_List of Mistakes in order to choose from a text list, nor ID numbers.

When I press drop down arrow I see the list of Mistakes (text) and an ID number that was in the field.

Is there any way to hide or somehow format ID separate from drop down list?

Kind regards and thanks again,

Sergey

• 8. Re: Hello, I've got 3 related tables - Trades, Trading Mistakes and List of Mistakes to show...
                        philmodjunk

In Value list setup, you can choose to hide the first field value from view, but then the value in the second field must be unique or those values with duplicates in the second field will be omitted.

You can choose to set this up as a popup menu instead of a drop down list and then the ID field will display the mistake text even when you exit the field. With a drop down list, the ID will appear when you exit, but you can still include the Mistake field next to it or you can even put the mistake field on top of the ID field if you use the Inspector's behavior settings to deny access to the mistake field when in Browse mode and then give that field an opaque fill color so that the ID field formatted as a drop down list is hidden behind it.