3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2008 8:45 AM by Martin1

Help ! Finding within a Layout

Martin1

Title

Help ! Finding within a Layout

I am trying to save myself a considerable amount of report generation time buy utilising the report layout function by setting up the month end reports which then just requires a find within specific fields.

I need the perform a find in 3 seperate fields to pair down the data to the specific information I need. One field is the date but will need to searched for the full month, the second it a value between 1 and 6 and the third is a yes/no field.

At the moment is doesn't mater whether I search in one field or try inputting a field and then going onto new request, I can't filter the data I want. For some reason it will not pick up certain test data I have input to make sure the filters work.

To solve this issue would give me considerable time savings at the end of each month, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: Help ! Finding within a Layout
          TSGal

Martin:

Thank you for your post.

Let's assume your three fields are:

Date (a date field)

Value (a number field)

YesNo (a text field)

Pulling down the View menu and select "Find" will allow you to search.

For a range of dates, using the current month, enter into Date:  10/1/2008..10/31/2008

(If you are outside the United States, enter: 1/10/2008..31/10/2008)

Pressing return will find all records where the Date occurs in October, 2008.

At this point, pull down the Records menu and select "Modify Last Find".  You will find yourself back in Find mode with the date search still active.  Go to the Value field and enter the value (between 1 and 6).  Pressing return now displays all records that occur in October, 2008 and also contain the specific value in the Value field.

Pull down the Records menu again and select "Modify Last Find".  Along with the other two search criteria, enter a value into the YesNo field.  Press return and that will find all records that satisfy all three criteria.

You don't have to search and refind each time.  You can enter all the criteria at once.  I was doing this to give you a better explanation of how Find works.

If certain records are not showing, make sure the field types are correct.  If Date is actually a text field, then FileMaker looks at the data as text.  For example, if you are outside the United States, and you had the search above, the following records would appear in the sort:

1/1/1900

2/2/2010

3/3/2001

The following would not appear, because you are searching for 1/10/2008 through 31/10/2008, and the first digit would be out of that range:

4/10/2008

5/10/2008

5/5/2005

Does that make sense?

I hope this helps.  If not, please give me a test case that I can try out here.  Be sure to include the field names and type.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Help ! Finding within a Layout
            davidhead
               Just a quick tip - if you are using FileMaker Pro 9, you can quickly search for dates in a specific month by entering just the month and the year as the search criteria. For example, to find all records from September 2008, you would enter Find mode and then type 9/2008 in the date field. Easy :smileyhappy:
            • 3. Re: Help ! Finding within a Layout
              Martin1
                 Many thanks guys. Problem solved and fingers crossed an easier end of month beckons :robothappy: