4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 6:00 AM by ebooth

Help - Asset Starter Solution Question

ebooth

Title

Help - Asset Starter Solution Question

I don't know how to word this, but I'll try to make it somewhat understandable. I'm working in FMP 12 and I'm wondering if you can move one asset that is in one layout to a different layout. So, say you have the main layout that has your entire inventory in it, and you want to move it to a salvage list and delete it out of the  main layout. Is this possible? If so, how can you do it? If anyone needs more details, let me know. I can try to explain it more.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Help - Asset Starter Solution Question
          philmodjunk

I think you mean table rather than layout. Every time you create a new table, FileMaker creates a new layout of exactly the same name for you, but they aren't the same thing and you can create many different layouts that all are based on the same exact table.

I would advise against actually moving the file from one table to another like this. Instead, I'd use a field in the table to record the item's status. Moving an item onto the salvage list would then be a case of changing this status field to "salvage" or some such value. Your layouts, scripts, portals, etc can then be set up to automatically keep "salvage" assets out of the list on your main layout and non-salvage assets off the list on your "salvage" layout.

• 2. Re: Help - Asset Starter Solution Question
            ebooth

Thank you, PhilModJunk .... I just need to figure out those dang scripts! That is where I'm having the most trouble. angry Do you have any tips on scripts? 

• 3. Re: Help - Asset Starter Solution Question
              philmodjunk

Yes, but I have no idea which ones to suggest beyond this basic observation:

Many of FileMaker's script steps directly correspond to a menu option that you can select manually. Thus, beginners can often write down each menu choice they would make to do the same thing manually, then they can go to Manage scripts and select the corresponding script steps in the same order that they wrote them down and with the same options that they selected manually.

I would suggest trying to create a script and posting questions in the forum as you encounter a specific problem with that specific script.

• 4. Re: Help - Asset Starter Solution Question
                ebooth

OK thank you!