3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 12:33 PM by philmodjunk

Help creating a report that lists some things but not others

Tauryn

Title

Help creating a report that lists some things but not others

I have been an avid FM user for many years but I have been out of the FM scene for a while.  This may be very simple to do and if so I apologize.

Here is what I want to do.

I have a task database keeping track of what I am doing and I have a relational database, tasks line items to that defining specific things related to that task.  In the main level I am choosing whether the task is on hold, complete, in progress etc.  What I would like is for my report to print out the tasks I have but the ones on hold it just prints the task and not any related items underneath because it is on hold at the moment.

What it currently generates

Report:

Contacts Database    on hold

xxxxxxx   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jobs Database          on hold

Employee Database  In progress

(xxxx just equals whatever info)

and so forth, what I want is for the part to show but not its line items if they are on hold.  I tried some conditional formatting and also tried making some calculations that if status = on hold then the duplicate fields I created for each one in the TLI = "" and had the duplicate fields in the report.  this worked but they showed up as still empty spaces and even with sliding etc they didn't go away.

What I would like to see it generate:

Report:

Contacts Database    on hold

Jobs Database          on hold

Employee Database  In progress

and so forth..

Sorry if I am too confusing,

Tauryn

• 1. Re: Help creating a report that lists some things but not others
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker do you have?

If you have FileMaker 11 or 12, you might be able to use a portal to list the task line items and then a portal filter can filter out all line items if the status for the task record is "on holde'.

If you have an older version, you can define a relationship for the portal that does not match to any task line items if the task is on hold.

With either method, you can design the portal to be a very large number of rows tall, but then use "sliding & visibility" settings in the inspector to set the portal to slide up and to resize the enclosing part.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Fields will slide up only if Top, alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if left alignment is specified.
          6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Help creating a report that lists some things but not others
            Tauryn

PhilModJunk

It was filemaker Pro 12 but your example worked exactly how I wanted it, thanks a bunch!

Stephen/

aka Tauryn

• 3. Re: Help creating a report that lists some things but not others
              philmodjunk

FMP 12 gives you a second option: Execute SQL that could be used in place of the portal, but I see no real advantages to doing so here.