AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help creating multiple invoices

Question asked by cstanford101 on Jan 11, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 by cstanford101

Title

Help creating multiple invoices

I am designing a database system for our business.  I am needing to create multiple types of invoices - I need Parts Invoices, Service Invoices, and Bills of Sale.  All three invoices will need to pull from the same customers and inventory tables.  I already have my customers, inventory, and parts invoices all done and the relationships all working (so that you can plug customer data into the invoice from the customers table, or create new customers into the table by inputting new info into the invoice) with a invoice line items table to deal with the many to many relationship.  But I'm having trouble creating the service and bill of sale invoices.  Does anyone have a good suggestion on how best this would work?  I need parts, service, and bills of sales to all have thier own tables/layouts (because even though they use the same customers and inventory they have some major differences between them) but I'm having difficulty dealing with the relationships since all three need to pull from the same contacts table and inventory table.  I want to be able to have a portal in my customers layout that will let me know all the invoices a customer has, and it needs to show that "this one was a parts, this one was a service, this one was a bill of sale, etc" so I can have better reporting.  Same with inventory, I will want a portal in each inventory item to show how many of each item has sold and on what type of invoice.

Does anyone have a solution?  I feel like its a simple approach that my mind just can't wrap around.  I tried importing a copy of my invoices table/layout so that it would create a new table but that's not working, as it seems to be just pulling a copy of the invoice records.  Any suggestions on how to make this work would be very appreciated.  I am using FileMaker Pro 12 (not advanced just pro), currently on a windows computer but we will be using the database on both a windows and a mac as well as ipads/iphones.

Outcomes