6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 2:35 PM by Pichi

help duplicating portal data

Pichi

Title

help duplicating portal data

Hi!

i just finished my fm invoice program, but now i have 2 issues that i need to solved, someone can help me?, before i need to describe my fm db:

I have 1 file, name MASTER, this file have some tables those are:

1- master

2- lineItems

3- Budget

4- Job Order

5- Invoice

and i have others field those are related to my master file

file: customers

file: products

file: extras

All data from all my files are related to my MASTER file and i can made my invoices, budget, jor order, son on..., but i have 2 issues that i need to solved URGENT!

1- duplicate data from my table: when i duplicate my master table to create a new one and don't have to copy all data I only can copy some related data, but the LineItem dosen't copy to my new record how can i duplicate all my data ?

2- the lineItem is related to my products, this work great but if i need to modificate 1 field from my master table all items who has the same products change, it's posible to change just one and all the other identical keep the original data without create a new products each time that i need to do that?

thanks

• 1. Re: help duplicating portal data
          philmodjunk

"when i duplicate my master table to create a new one ..."

Are you really duplicating the entire table or just a record in the master table?

If just a record, what kind of data do you store in this table? Is this your master list of items and their prices?

• 2. Re: help duplicating portal data
            Pichi

Hi Phil:

Sorry just the records, the fields row are:

description | printer use | media | media price | sizew | sizeL | extras | extraprice | qty extra | punit | ptotal

where:

- description, sizew, sizeL, qty extras: are wrote directly on the master table

- printer use, media, media price, extras, estra price: are related to product file to the lineitem table from the master file

- punit ptotal are calculation

• 3. Re: help duplicating portal data
              philmodjunk

It's hard to follow your description but I think you are duplicating an invoice record and find that the line items don't also duplicate?

That's expected Filemaker behavior. You'd need to add a script to find and duplicate the line item records also.

• 4. Re: help duplicating portal data
                Pichi

Hi Phil:

Yes, thats what happen, the lineitems don't duplicate, and yes I need a script to do that, can I send the file to you?

• 5. Re: help duplicating portal data
                  philmodjunk

Um, well that's what I do for living, at some point, I have to draw the line and ask for payment. If I'm to develop a solution for you, that would be work right? :smileywink: If that's what you want, click my forum name and send me a private message and we'll discuss this.

On the other hand, if you want to do this yourself, look up information on Go To Related Records. This is a step that can be used to isolate the related records in a found set so that your script can loop through them and make duplicates.

Go To Related Records is a very useful tool, but which is very poorly documented. To learn more about GTRR, click the following link:

The Complete Go To Related Record

• 6. Re: help duplicating portal data
                    Pichi

Hi Phil:

Yes i guest the fee, let me read this link and tryed 1 more time.

thanks

Joffre