4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 10:14 AM by BobSchwenkler

Help figuring out network path

BobSchwenkler

Title

Help figuring out network path

I'm working on a script which exports records and image files to folders local to the host machine. I'm working off of the host machine and the script is working perfectly; I'm having a hard time figuring out the remote path for my computer to insert into $Path in my script.

The closest I can figure out (according to the manual) is "filemac:/Bob Schwenkler's Power Mac G4:MacintoshHD/folder/folder/"&$FileName.

This is working neither locally nor remotely. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Help figuring out network path
          TSGal

Bob Schwenkler:

Thank you for your post.

Since your example is showing a Mac, you refer to a remote drive as:

/Volumes/Bob Schwenkler's Power Mac G4/MacintoshHD/etc.

Make sure the volume is loaded, or it will fail.

You can also get the path by opening the remote volume, finding a file in the same folder, pulling down the File menu and select "Get Info".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Help figuring out network path
            BobSchwenkler
               And then I need to put the filemac: in front of the path, right? I'm trying both and it's still not working. I checked the info window and tried just saving to the remote root directory. I can keep trying, do you have any advice for something I might be missing?
            • 3. Re: Help figuring out network path
              TSGal

Bob Schwenkler:

I gave you incorrect information.  For export, you do not need "Volumes".  Also, .  When you open the remote volume, you are already viewing the contents of the main hard disk, so assuming "MacintoshHD" is your main hard disk, it does not need to be referenced.  Assume you want to write "test.txt" to the FileMaker Pro 10 directory on "Bob Schwenkler's Power Mac G4" remote hard disk.  The correct path would be:

filemac:/Bob Schwenkler's Power Mac G4/FileMaker Pro 10/test.txt

If this doesn't work, then just try:

filemac:/Bob Schwenkler's Power Mac G4/test.txt

... and see where the file is written.  This will give you a good start.

Again, I apologize for the previous misinformation.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Help figuring out network path
                BobSchwenkler
                   Ok, I got it working. One thing that was confusing me a bit at the start was that I'm using a program that allows sharing of any folder I specify. It took me a little bit to realize that the path needed to start with that folder instead of my computer or the system hard drive. Using the information box on a folder in the remote volume was really helpful. All I had to do was to use that path minus the  "volume/" at the beginning and it worked great. Thanks.