1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 8:24 AM by philmodjunk

Help for a script

borninva

Title

Help for a script

FileMaker 10 Advanced - Mac OSX 10.6

I have a database of presentations made at various locatioins. Each different presentation has a unique ID code associated only with the name of that presentation. The presentation though may have been given multiple times at various locations, or, even multiple times at the same place over time. All of this is entered into the database as presentations are made.

I am wanting to script a report that will allow me to indicate a particular location where presentations have been made and then give a list of each different presentation made at that one place. In other words, I am seeking information in this report on only one location. The report should tell the name of each presentation made at that place, the number of times it was presented at that place, and the most recent date it was presented at that place.

For clarification: Hypothetically - nineteen different presentations have been given at one location fifty-seven times. The report on this will basically consist of 19 lines of information - each line identifying the name of one presentation of the 19, with how many times that particular presentation has been given at that place, and the most recent date it was given. (Fields exist in the main database for the name of the presentation, and its unique ID code, with each record indicating the date and the place of that presentation).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Michael Hughes 

• 1. Re: Help for a script
          philmodjunk

What you are describing is called a summary report with sub-summary parts. You can look up summary reports in Filemaker's help system to learn more about it.

First some summary fields to compute the numbers and dates you want to see in your report:

Define a summary field, let's call it sPresentCount and define it as the "Count of" your Presentaion ID field.

Define another summary field, sMostRecentDate and define it as the "Maximum" of your Presentation Date field.

Now place theses fields in a summary report:

1. Starting from a blank layout based on your table of Presentation records, enter layout mode and add a sub-summary part, (Layouts | Part Setup...).
          2. Set it up as "When sorted by" your presentation name field. It can "print above" or "print below" either way in the case of this report.
          3. Add the presentation name field, sPresentCount and sMostRecentDate fields to this new layout part.
          4. Click on the label for the Body part and press delete to delete it.
          5. Add any other fields you want to this layout.
          6. Enter Browse mode.
          7. Select view as List.
          8. Perform a find to find just the records for a given location and then sort the records by your presentation name field to see the report you have described here.