3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 11:24 AM by philmodjunk

Help for newbie...

EricEisenstein

Title

Help for newbie...

I am new to Filemaker, and I haven't designed a database in many years. 

I am trying to create a specialty version of the "Meetings" template that FM includes.  In essence, what I would like to do is to specify a start and end date and what days of the week a recurring meeting will be on (e.g., Mon & Tue from 1/1/13 to 2/7/13) and then have FM create the matching records for all of the meeting days.  For each meeting, I then want to attach documents.  The document attachment process is manual. 

I don't have a problem with the many to 1 relationship of the tables (one master "meeting name", multiple instances), but how do I get the various instances of the meeting to automatically populate the "meetings" table?

Confused,

Eric

• 1. Re: Help for newbie...
          philmodjunk

how do I get the various instances of the meeting to automatically populate the "meetings" table?

Generally speaking, this will require a script to create each of the resulting related records from the specified days of week and date range. Have you learned how to create scripts in FileMaker yet?

What version of Filemaker are you using? FileMaker 11 starter solutions are quite different from Filemaker 12 starter solutions.

• 2. Re: Help for newbie...
            EricEisenstein

I am using v12.01.

I am also not committed to using the starter solution; that just seemed to be a logical starting point.

Eric

• 3. Re: Help for newbie...
              philmodjunk

I am using v12.01.

I recommend downloading the free updater to update to 12.03. This fixes a number of pretty serious bugs found in 12.01. They aren't likely to be a factor here, but it's still a good idea to download and run the updater.

By identifying the version and starter solution, I can be more specific in my suggested solution. You then are still free to apply that suggestion to the starter solution or a new file of your own design.

Take a look at the script named "Repeat Meeting | Duplicate" that exists in this starter solution. It's the script performed when you click the "repeat meeting" button at top right of the Meeting Details layout.

This script creates one new meeting record with exactly the same info as the original, then opens a window where you can edit the details.

A script that performed a similar set of script steps could be set up inide a loop that looped through a series of dates in a specified date range to create the needed set or repeated meetings.