2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 2:55 PM by philmodjunk

Help Getting Filemaker to Print

GD_1

Title

Help Getting Filemaker to Print

I've spent countless hours creating a layout for our customers/business accounts.  However, many of the fields that I've created will not be filled in for every customer.  This creates a problem where when I go to print, I don't want to see all the empty fields.  I want it to skip over each empty field and only print the next one.  Also, the layouts never fit on a sheet of paper. I don't know how to adjust for this or have filemaker adjust for this so that it resizes it to fit on the page.  Any help is appreciated.  

EDIT: @PhilModJunk - What about using the table view? Take this for instance:  We run a small computer repair shop.  Sometimes customers have more than one device, sometimes they don't. In this scenario, one user's record has at least ten fields.  Some fields will have no data, for instance, we have fields set up for the model of the first computer, the username, the password, the model of the second computer, the username, the password, the third, etc.  If a customer has only one computer then many of these fields are empty.  How could I print out a table of just the data and have this on one sheet? I don't know if you've ever used Daylite, but the reporting engine will automatically leave out empty fields and compile a printable version. 

EDIT2: I noticed that if I open the sample solution of "personnel details" it has a set "printable view" that was created. How can I create a printable view in the same manner?

• 1. Re: Help Getting Filemaker to Print
          philmodjunk

What you describe may indicate that you are using multiple fields in a single record where it might be better to use multiple records in a related table.

But you can set fields to "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part". This will only affect what you get when you print, save as PDF or preview the layout.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Help Getting Filemaker to Print
            philmodjunk

I recommend using Post a New Answer to post follow up responses. We are likely to miss responses edited into the original post.

What you describe definitely indicates that you are using multiple fields in a single record where it might be better to use multiple records in a related table.

we have fields set up for the model of the first computer, the username, the password, the model of the second computer, the username, the password, the third, etc.

These multiple fields should be replaced with a portal to a related table where you have one record for each computer linked to the same parent . You can then use a list view layout based on the portal's table that neatly avoids the issues you are having. If a client brings in just one computer, you have just one related record and there are no empty fields to deal with. If the client brings in 20 computers, you have 20 records in this table and the layouts still work.

I noticed that if I open the sample solution of "personnel details" it has a set "printable view" that was created. How can I create a printable view in the same manner?

Each version of FileMaker has different starter solutions. Which version are you using? Off hand, such a "printable view" is likely a different layout specifically designed with printing in mind. On the other hand, you can enter Preview Mode as a way to see how a given layout will print with the current settings specified in Print Setup.