2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 4:26 PM by nevsptfmp

Help importing Excel data into a Filemaker Starter solution

TimHeppell

Title

Help importing Excel data into a Filemaker Starter solution

I'm hoping someone could help me with hopefully a really simple problem importing information from Excel into the Filemaker  'Contact Management' starter solution I've just started to use.

If I manually add some new records the 'related contacts tab' and 'notes tab' work fine - showing my contacts with the same contact information BUT if I try to import my contacts in from Excel the 'related contacts' do not show and the 'notes' tab brings the 'address tab' forward when I try to type into it.

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Help importing Excel data into a Filemaker Starter solution
          philmodjunk

The trouble lies with the Contact ID field in the starter solution. The system needs a contact ID number to link a contact record to the related notes record. When you import the data into this file, this field remains blank unless you enable the "allow auto-enter" option during import.

You'll need to either start over and re-import the data with this option enabled, or you'll have to put Contact ID on a layout so that you can use the Replace Field Contents tool to assign serial numbers to your imported records.

Here's the step by step:

1. Make a back up copy of your file so you can try again if you make a mistake.
          2. In Layout Mode, place Contact ID on a layout based on the Contacts Table
          3. Enter Find Mode and put just an = sign in this field. Perform the find. This finds all records where Contact ID is blank.
          4. Put the cursor in this field and select Replace Field Contents from the Records menu.
          5. Use the Serial Numbers option and specify that entry options are to be updated.
          • 2. Re: Help importing Excel data into a Filemaker Starter solution
            nevsptfmp

would it be possible to post screens for the step by step contact ID solution. Just started to explore FMP 11 and having a hard time importing contacts from Bento 4.