Help in Planning Database
Hello everyone. I'm new to FileMaker and am looking for guidance in database design. We are a school moving from multiple Excel worksheets to a small database.
I want to track student progress through our system. I need to see student information including current and past classes, exam results, academic advisor, and current and past teachers.
I have some understanding of the one-to-many relationship, but I'm not clear on how to do the setup.
I've come up with the attached diagram.
- One School Year to Many Modules.
- One Module to Many Levels.
- One Level to Many Sections (individual classes)
- Many Teachers to Many Sections (I created a Link Table called Registers - Many Teachers to One Register)
- One Section (or Register) to Many Students
- One Register to Many Exams (I want to track Students Exam results by Section here)
- One Dean to Many Students
We use a unique StudentID number generated by the Student office. I would like to use this number to do searches. I have been watching the training videos on Lynda.com.
Any guidance on how to get this design organized and what I need to look out for would be greatly appreciated.