9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2014 3:23 PM by guaya81

help in relationship for portal

guaya81

Title

help in relationship for portal

hello

i will like to ask for some help, in relation for a portal setup that it dont seem to work with me, i have a bakery and im trying to make a little program to help my wife with orders, i had made some tables Customer, Orders, Products and Invoices. the customer table has his customer ID, the orders has his Order ID, and the Products has their ID as well the invoice table will be use to make the copy of the invoice from the orders with the same order ID and Customer ID, now the problem is im trying to make a portal under the orders, so when the click the portal the can start adding the cake tiers if they have 1 or 2 or 3, it only print does annd not all the 7 tiers onfoirmation, but when i setup the portal and copy everything from the starter solution Invoices template, it dont seem to work as i click the portal and it dont let me add anything, it is just static and plain

thanks

• 1. Re: help in relationship for portal
          philmodjunk

I don't see the reason for a table of orders and also a table of invoices. As far as I can tell from your description, an order and an invoice are the exact same thing. And you need to add a table for that portal of items ordered.

Customer----<Invoices----<InvoiceData>-------Products

Customer::__pkCustomerID = Invoices::_fkCustomerID
               Invoices::__pkInvoiceID = InvoiceData::_fkInvoiceID
               Products::__pkProductID = InvoiceData::_fkProductID

In some examples "invoiceData" is called "lineItems" instead.

The invoices starter solution that comes with FileMaker 11, 12 and 13 uses this same set of tables and relationships.

A layout based on Invoices can include fields from customer and a portal to InvoiceData. the _fkProductID field can be formatted with a value list for selecting products to list on the invoice.

• 2. Re: help in relationship for portal
            guaya81

Phill

here is my relationship database

im trying to use the Orders Details as same as the starter solution only to print the invoice but it will not show anything

thanks

• 3. Re: help in relationship for portal
              philmodjunk

The field names used suggest that your relationship from the products table to Orders Details may be incorrect. Normally, your unique identifier field is named something like "Product ID" so I would expect the relationship between Products and Orders Details to be this:

Orders Details::Product ID = Products::Product ID

not:

Orders Details::Tier = Products::Product

(And I changed the name of the Product ID table to Products in my example here as naming a table Product ID is just asking for major confusion in the future.)

And exactly how are you trying to print that invoice? From a layout based on Orders or Orders Details? If Orders Details, what method are you using to pull up just the Orders Details records for the correct Order? This is almost always done with a script.

• 4. Re: help in relationship for portal
                guaya81

Phil

Is there a way to make a product list, as I mention before I have a bakery and I have different categories of products (wedding, Birthdays, Xv, Others) and when I input a portal just show products related to that category, I don't seem to find a way in filemaker

• 5. Re: help in relationship for portal
                  philmodjunk

A "Product List" could be many different things. It can be a value list of products to select--that's the simplest method used for selecting products in a portal such as your portal to Order Details. Usually that value list is used with a drop down list or pop up menu for selecting  product to be listed on that order.

Is that what you are trying to set up or something else?

• 6. Re: help in relationship for portal
                    guaya81

Phil thanks for your time and i will need to create a table for the invoices to be print out i try to emulated the satrter sulution invoices template, and as well trying to use it, but in the bakery i need to have the tiers, flavor, fillings, color, details, that why i cannot use the template of invoices, so how i can create a table to use it for the print out as the starter solution.

and on the table of Products is the same as the tier i just change the name and it works fine but the next field is the servings and it supposed to look fo rthe field of tier(products) and bring the servings and is not bringing nothing, i know whats the problem, when i open the lookupfield is pointing to the irder ID instead of the Product ID

• 7. Re: help in relationship for portal
                      guaya81

Phil

can i use the same script of the starter solution to print the invoices on that table name orders or orders details as the starter solution, you create the invoices under the Invoces table and then the table Invoices details has a layout name print/send invoices, and it is use to print the invoices that what i  need

• 8. Re: help in relationship for portal
                        philmodjunk

...and i will need to create a table for the invoices to be print out

You do not need a table, you need a layout designed for printing out your invoice. This should be a list view layout based on the Orders Details table, not orders. Fields from Orders Details can be placed in the body. Fields from Orders can be placed in the header, footer or a grand summary layout part.

can i use the same script of the starter solution to print the invoices

You can't just import the script and expect it to work, the design of your database is too different. But this script does do the things that your script needs to do in order to print an invoice. It changes layouts to a layout designed for printing the invoice and pulls up a found set of the needed "line item" records to make up the current invoice. In your case, you need a script that uses the current value of Order ID from the current Orders record to find all Orders Details records with that same value on the invoice layout that you need to design for printing an invoice.

and on the table of Products is the same as the tier i just change the name and it works fine but the next field is the servings and it supposed to look fo rthe field of tier(products) and bring the servings and is not bringing nothing, i know whats the problem, when i open the lookupfield is pointing to the irder ID instead of the Product ID

Sorry, but not being a baker and not having any idea as to what exactly you are baking, I can't understand what you are attempting to describe here. But it makes no sense to name the table (or the table occurrence) Product ID. And it does not make any sense to me to match records by matching Product to Tier. The records should be matched by Product ID, not by a name or description field.

• 9. Re: help in relationship for portal
                          guaya81

Phil

thank you, and sorry for asking to many questions, as you can see im not a expert on this but i like to explore or have an idea of how to build a program to work on

thanks again