2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 12:48 PM by rjlevesque

Help installing FM 8 upgrade from FM 6 on OS X 10.6.6

RenatoRodriguez

Title

Help installing FM 8 upgrade from FM 6 on OS X 10.6.6

I have FM 6 on my laptop and need to upgrade to FM 8 which I have already downloaded. I'm trying to install the upgrade and it just won't do it. I have all the licensing key numbers, everything. I just called FM and they said that my operating system (Mac OS x 10.6.6) is not certified or supported for FM 8. WTF!!!! Why not!!!!

The rep at FM I spoke to said it's luck of the draw if I can get it to work or not, usually not. I will need to upgrade to FM 10 (which I can't afford) or downgrade to 10.4 which IS supported by FM 8 which I am not going to do. The database I need was created in FM 7. I keep getting the "unable to find a qualifying product" dialogue box, when I enter my license key number, organization, etc. and/or click browse and choose FM 6 from my applications folder I still get the "unable to find a qualifying product" error box. I'm at wits end!!!!!

He said a developer on this forum will know who to get my OS X 10.6.6 to upgrade to 8 even though it's not supposed to. HELP!!!!!!

Thanks!

Renato

• 1. Re: Help installing FM 8 upgrade from FM 6 on OS X 10.6.6
          philmodjunk

Why not!!!!

Your OS version is newer than your version of FileMaker. Any time you upgrade an OS, there's a chance that you will also need to upgrade some of your applications in order for them to work with the upgrade. That's always been true and for Windows as well as Mac.

He said a developer on this forum will know who to get my OS X 10.6.6 to upgrade to 8 even though it's not supposed to.

I don't recall seeing any discussions of such an approach here in this forum, but that could be a faulty memory on my part... 

• 2. Re: Help installing FM 8 upgrade from FM 6 on OS X 10.6.6
            rjlevesque

Most developers on here will just tell you:

1. Call FM technical support for an issue such as that

OR

2. upgrade to the correct version or there is no reason to expect it to work

And I tend to lean towards option number 2, but believe me I FULLY understand the frustration of being unable to afford a particular software title you need. However, this is not the software's problem, or fault...even though it frustrates us to that point. The software is working perfectly, doing exactly as it was designed to do, and the manufacturer is consistantly updating and improving their product...exactly what we want them to do. So in the end my friend, you can't get upset with the software...and as far as cost I find FMP extremely reasonable in price for what it does. Try pricing something like Adobe products sometime...