6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 8:51 AM by philmodjunk

Help making reports

TonyReis

Title

Help making reports

I need some help creating reports for this database that I have made. I have attached it. I need to be able to create a report that is able to group by month of entry. I need to tell me the total number of records created that month as well. And then break it down even more by Manufacture, Device, warranty status. Including the total revenue for that month.  I figure that the last 3 will just be a calculation formula.  They are also value lists so I should be able to group them by the respected values. I just can't figure out how to do this or how to group them by months.

Sorry, I just want to be more detailed in what I would like it to do.

I would like the repair to show me the month, total recorded created that month in number format. The record totals for that month broken down by different manufacture, devices. Then the number of warranty records and the total for revenue income.

So something looks like this:

October  115 records

Apple repairs 35 : warranty 20 : out of warranty 15 : Revenue $1500

Ipads 5 : imacs 16 : macbooks 9 : Ipods 5

And so on for every different manufacture and start again for a next month.

When I have tried I get a list for every day of the month.

To be more detailed Manufacture and devices are a value list. warranty is radio button set

Is there a way to break it down like this?

Any help would be appreciated

2013-11-06_120103.jpg

• 1. Re: Help making reports
          philmodjunk

To group records, you sort them specifying a field that has the same value for all records of that group.

Here's a simple calculation field that can be used to group records by month:

YourDateField - Day ( YourDateFIeld ) + 1

Select Date as the result type and you get the date for the first day of the month for all dates falling in that month.

The rest of what you describe sounds like a typical summary report where summary fields compute aggregate values such as a total, count, average, etc.

See this tutorial on Summary Reports: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

• 2. Re: Help making reports
            philmodjunk

To post responses to an existing thread like this, use Post a new Answer to post it. There's no need to edit your original post to do so.

Is there a way to break it down like this?

Yes. What you are describing is a summary report. The tutorial shows how to create such a report. Once you have a layout correctly designed for this purpose, it's simply a matter of performing a find to pull up the desired records followed by a sort to group them into groups and, if necessary, sub groups. Summary fields placed in sub summary layout parts can provide most of the totals and subtotals.

But any details that I suggest will rely on an incomplete understanding of your database and your report needs.

Example, I see radio buttons for warranty and extended warranty repairs, but you want a count of "in warranty" and "out of warranty" repairs. Would an in warranty repair be a record that has yes selected for warranty OR extended warranty? And out of warranty be repairs made where "No" is selected in both these fields?

Have you read through the tutorial that I directed you to? (The more you can learn from the tutorial, the less detail I have to provide directly.)

• 3. Re: Help making reports
              TonyReis

Should I create a new layout to make my reports?  I have have done some research and some training at Lynda.com and they use list view to help them make reports.  When I go into list mode, I get a list of forms  with data entered that just goes on and on.  When I enter layout mode it takes me to the main form entry and can't add sub summary sections. I don't even have headers and footers. I also want to know if I  add headers, footers and sub summary sections will it change my main layout or just list view? 

• 4. Re: Help making reports
                TonyReis

I'm going to assume that I should create 2 new fields, one to tell me the months the records were created and a calculation one for how many records were created in that month.  How would I go about doing this?

• 5. Re: Help making reports
                  philmodjunk

Should I create a new layout to make my reports?

Yes. You must create a new layout for your report. You will not be able to use the data entry layout you show here for the type of report that you want. To add or remove layout parts, you can select Part Setup... from the layouts menu to get a dialog box for adding or deleting layout parts.

• 6. Re: Help making reports
                    philmodjunk

I use a field, that I usually name as cMonth (I put a c at the start of field names when it's a calculation field):

DateField - Day ( DateField ) + 1

and I select date as the result type. DateField can be set up the auto-entered creation date or it can be a date field where the user enters/selects a date for the date of the repair. This calculation computes the date for the first day of the month for all dates in that month.

To count records, add a field of type summary and set it to "count" a field that is never empty--such as a field that auto-enters a serial number. That same summary field, depending on how you use it can give you the total records in your report as well as subtotal counts for different groups within the report. (Put the summary field in a sub summary layout part to get a subtotal count.)