1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 4, 2012 8:34 AM by philmodjunk

Help modifying Asset Management db

dravk05

Title

Help modifying Asset Management db

I'm hoping to get some help in modifying the Asset Management db that's provided with Filemaker Pro. I've removed the appreciation/depreciation tabs and just have the 'loaned to' tab at the bottom with the top still original.

Ideally what I'd like to do is have the 'loaned to' be not just a one off but a running list. So you can see, at a glance, how many times an item has been checked out with the most recent at the top. The layout would be asset information at the top and then all records of loaning be listed below, most recent at the top.

I'm not sure of the easiest way to go about this. 

Is it easier to create a second database for the 'loaned to' information and then have it display in the original Asset Management db? Or can I achieve what I want with just one db? Creating a new record would create new loaned to information rather than new assets. However there is always the opportunity to add more assets down the road.

It's been a few years since I've worked in FM and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

(FM Pro 11, Mac OS version, 10.6.8)

• 1. Re: Help modifying Asset Management db
          philmodjunk

Don't see any reason for creating a new file to link to the asset management db. You can add a new table for recording each case where an item is loaned out and relate it by Asset ID to the original table.  A list view or table view layout based on this new table would show you all the instances when a given item (or all items) where loaned out and returned.

You might also look at the lending library starter solution for ideas.