AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help modifying stock inventory database to remove inventory when creating an order

Question asked by stumullan on Sep 15, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

Help modifying stock inventory database to remove inventory when creating an order

Hi, I think this is a basic question, but i'm new to FM and have been struggling with it for a couple of days. I'm using the Inventory starter solution that comes with FMP10 to help a client who is trying to manage their boat building business. I want to add a layout that he uses to create a 'new boat' in the database. He can then add all items from his inventory that are required in the build, and these are simultaneously removed from his 'units in stock' thus showing him what he needs to reorder.

I considered using a portal to display items from the inventory, but am unclear about the best way to establish the relationship so that it deducts the quantity of units used in the new boat. At present I have not created a 'new boat' table.

Could anyone advise on whether a 'new boat' table is necessary, whether a portal is sufficiently flexible for this use and if the 'deduct from units in stock' function is a script, or just a calculation?

Would appreciate any support. I have been working my way through The Missing Manual, but haven't had a breakthrough on this yet.

Outcomes